Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian Olive Burl bowl

That's fantastic! Great profile, love the foot and the NE is wild. It makes me think of those photos you see of a splash caused by dropping a rock into water.
    David DeCristoforo

2. Very well done Curt! That one must have been like trying to turn an airplane propeller............very beautiful wood, and form and your finish really brings out the character of the grain............that would make a fine display piece. The foot is a great addition on this one!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

This is a stunning peice, Curt, the shape, wood and finish are spectacular. The only thing I don't understand is you forgetting you had this beautiful chunk of wood

Beautiful piece of wood and a great form to show it's original shape.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Very nice natural edge bowl. I really like the shape.

Doug

Marvelos piece!! Your tool control is outstanding getting such a thin piece on those wild wings. One of my "favorites" now and residing in that folder.

Curt, that sure worked out well. Looks great and probably better in real life.

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. As is the case with most of what I turn, it's the wood that really does the talking. This Russian Olive wood just has some fantastic color and is even better when it grows a burl.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Very nice! I love the dark wood! I think a photo from the top would really show off the natural edges!
    Doug, I meant to take a pic from the top. Thanks for reminding me.

Russian Olive burl bowl 6.jpg
    I was able to keep a natural edge on all of it except the straight area on the left side. That was where it was cut off the log and trying to get rid of that straight edge would have meant cutting away too much of the other wood.

Thanks again to everyone!

What a uniquely beautiful bowl! It's obvious that it took sharp toools, a steady hand and a lot of experience to pull it off.