Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beaded Cherry

Thanks for all your thoughts and encouragement! They are always appreciated and pondered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Bax,
    ..... Please consider posting it there.
    faust
    Thanks Faust. I appreciate the thought. Maybe someday I will do more than lurk on WOW once in a while. I do check out the work there on occasion but try and limit computer time to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    ... a lot going on with this one. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing .......
    Thanks David. That about sums up my thoughts as well! I appreciate your detailed insight on all the

components. I am more or less satisifeid with each of them ....but... this may be a case where the total is less than the sum of the individual parts.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ..There is so much about a piece like this that involves individual taste, and mine may differ from yours regarding certain elements. ....
    And those elements are??????

When I was getting ready to glue these parts together, I was very "on the fence" about including the cherry embellishments underneath the onion in both finial and pedestal. I had a feeling they might detract from the form itself...... but since they had already been made....I figured I might as well go ahead and see if I liked them. The jury is still out on that one.
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 04-16-2012 at 8:13 PM.

Baxter wow what a beautiful piece, just the talent to put it all together is awsome... Is the lead just for weight? I think, great Idea.

LOVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    And those elements are??????

When I was getting ready to glue these parts together, I was very "on the fence" about including the cherry embellishments underneath the onion in both finial and pedestal. I had a feeling they might detract from the form itself...... but since they had already been made....I figured I might as well go ahead and see if I liked them. The jury is still out on that one.
    Baxter, given I am a member of that jury, and the jury still being out, I am not sure commenting would be appropriate. Nonetheless, you seem to want to know. Please keep in mind that all of these things are so subjective, and none of them take away from the quality of this piece. They represent only my individual preferences, and could easily be totally wrong.

My personal tastes include the following:

In this type of turning, as in most, the form should be celebrated. Sometimes a replication can do that, but usually one sees that in the finial as the eye first focuses on the form and then travels upward. While I like embellishments in the pedestal, I feel they should be somewhat subdued - at least to the point where the form is the first thing seen. I think the replicated form in the pedestal is too much and competes against the form in this piece. It either causes the eye to first focus on the pedestal, or go from the form downward - either of which seems to fight against the form.

The transition from the pedestal into the form is concave and immediately (abruptly?) folds into a convex curve. IMO, it would flow better if the concavity continued and faded as it approached the shoulder of the form. When coupled with the area of the pedestal that appears to have consistent diameter (flat), it seems to disrupt the flow from the pedestal into the form. That would probably require the top of the pedestal to be just a bit larger in order to provide the curvature.

Wow, Baxter, this piece is stunning. I really like the form of the vessel. I thought you didn't get much cherry out yr way...

I'll throw an unsolicited comment out here though: I find the beads - while executed extremely well and beyond my own ability - distracting from the form and figure. I'm sure it feels just wonderful, though.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Professional work Baxter! Like it a lot!!
    Gotta ask: are the beads separate parts, glued to the pre-darkened elements of the finial/leg OR do you blacken the finished piece (and if so, how do you protect the beads)?

Ditto what everyone has said. Great job.
    I turn, therefore I am

7. Baxter, that's a beauty, I love the way you do your finials and pedestals, and the beading just make everything stand out and shout, your proportions are perfect in my opinion and would be hard to improve on. Great job.

..... marvelous work ......

Quote Originally Posted by BILL DONAHUE View Post
    .......Please explain what you mean by using sinkers. I apparently missed earllier posts about this.
    Bill, when DD was creating taller and taller Amphora pieces, he came up with the idea of inlaying/hiding some lead wired in the base to aid in the stability of his turnings. Since this one was getting rather tall at 18 inches, I decided there might be a benefit to doing something similar. I didn't have any wire but I did have plenty of lead shot from reloading shotgun shells. I drilled out the base in two steps but couldn't fit much in. I decided a solid piece was the better way to go so went to my box of sinkers and got out a hacksaw. Cut off about the right sized piece then pounded it into a shape that would fit. The other piece is a smaller split shot that I used to use for trout fishing that was pounded to the size of the smaller hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel nucifore View Post
    ... Is the lead just for weight? I think, great Idea.....
    Yes. Give DD the credit!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Baxter, given I am a member of that jury, and the jury still being out, I am not sure commenting would be appropriate.
    Thanks John, I appreciate hearing your thoughts! And as far as the jury thing goes, this jury of one is probably going to end up being hung!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    .....I'll throw an unsolicited comment out here though: I find the beads - while executed extremely well and beyond my own ability - distracting from the form and figure. ..........
    Prashun, your unsolicited comments are more than welcome! As far as the beads go... your tastes may change with time.A year ago, the thought of dye, burning, beading, or doing anything else to cover up the wood was something I couldn't see myself wanting to try. The first time I saw a beaded form was one Wally Dickerman posted. My first reaction was "thats kind of neat, but what a waste of a pretty piece of wood." After trying one on a bland piece of wood and thinking this isn't too bad, I remembering reading that it worked well with figured wood. Didn't truly believe that but figured I would give it a try. My wife even likes it now that its done. Thought it was a waste when she saw me start it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Zax View Post
    .......Gotta ask: are the beads separate parts, glued to the pre-darkened elements of the finial/leg OR do you blacken the finished piece (and if so, how do you protect the beads)?
    Norm, all the black pieces are holly that was dyed with transtint before they were epoxied together.

Thanks again for everyones time and comments!

Fantastic piece Baxter! I love the form and the beading is stunning! The finial and pedestal look great in themselves, but I think I'm with the jury in that the embellisment in the pedestal draws the eye away from the form, but again they are turned beautifully.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Baxter,

I am always hesitant to critique because in many ways the way I see things is a bit off from the rest of the world and I like certain things for strange reasons. Take what I think with a grain of salt. First I will say I like every part of this piece and I think the level of craftsmanship is exquisite. With that being said I do not like it all as one piece. I think the form would stand best on its one without a Pedestal. But I think the final fits the piece very well and compliments the piece. Its height is well proportioned to the vessel. I however commend you for thinking outside the box. That is something that more of use need to do.

Alan

I think it's lovely, Baxter. you can also , ususally get free from a tire place, the weights they use for tires. I used them for years to make bullets. Work well. They'd do just as well to keep your piece steady. :-)
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

What a beautiful and stunning piece! Great job on the photography as well! The lighting was perfectly balanced.

Wonderful piece.
    C&C WELCOME

Baxter,

When I look at a piece, I try to formulate my response before reading the responses of others so I am not influenced by other opinions. That being said, when I viewed this piece I found myself immediately intriqued by the obvious high level or workmanship, and it was immediately apparent that this is excellent work. When I look at a piece I let my eyes be drawn to the focal point, much like viewing a painting. In this piece, I found my focal point jumping from the base to the main form and then the finial, only for the process to begin all over again. I am an old computer programmer, and felt myself going into an endless loop.
    Just my 2 cents worth but I think this piece has a problem that I've never produced, too many great elements. I think something like DD's one curve piece, the base could be made to draw attention upward to the main form and finial. I hope someday to produce a piece that has too many great elements!

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.