Thread: Framing Nailer OK for siding?

Framing Nailer OK for siding?

Hey gang

I have to replace the siding on my house and am wondering if a framing nailer will work for this using the shorter nails. I plan on getting a full round headed nailer. I was also hoping to use ringshanked nails. The siding I am putting up is the typical 4' x 8' sheet grooved siding. If anyone has opions on type of siding(real wood vs. manufactured siding) nail guns, nails to use. books or videos for techniques or any other general siding advise please voice them. This will be my first siding job and it will be on my house and I really want to get it right.
    Thanks everyone. Hope everyone had a great Easter.

Tim Palmer

I've used the PC framer to put up the concrete siding that looks like wood. It worked very well. For the siding you are talking about that comes in 4X8 sheets, I've just screwed it up, using deck screws. I assume you have to paint the siding once it's up, the paint will cover the screws.

I have a Bostitch Nailer and it works well for everything I do. I admit however, I've never used it to put up the siding you describe. Since mine has an adjustable pressure regulator, I've found that I can countersink the nails to most any level I chose. My recomendation; practice to get the proper depth or you may have ALOT of holes to fill before painting.

Best of luck.... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Tim,

I have sided two different houses in the past two years. I would have to say that a vinyl siding would be the way to go. I may get shot for saying that on a WW forum, but the advantages of manufactured siding is great. Re-sale value to name one. It is VERY easy to insatall. I bought quality materials and used a vinyl shingle product to do the front of the house. The best reason is no painting. That was enough reson for me. If you get a good level start, the rest is easy.
    Get the materials from a good siding store and they will be more than happy to guid you and show you haow to cut trim pieces.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Scott

Tim

Using a framing gun is okay but you may find it tiring. If you haven't bought a gun yet you may want to look at a coil nailer designed for siding.

I would also recommend investing in a box of stainless nails if this is your own house (actually, I would use stainless for anyone's house)
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

As Scott said, have a look at the vinyl siding. It looks great and even better it is really easy to put up. Finally, NO painting, I don't know about you, but I despise painting!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I was never a big fan of vinyl. Your limited to certain colors and your stuck with it. Plus it just looks way too fake for my taste. You can see slight ripples in a lot of it after the heat gets to it. But if you find a color you will like forever its definitely durable.

I think the new hardiplank is the future of siding for sure. I replaced about 10% of the siding on my house due to some slight rot and my wonderful dogs who like to chew on the wood stuff. The hardboard paints perfectly smooth and its durable as concrete.

most siding nailers have a depth stop feature that the normal framing nailers do not have. That allows you to dial in the depth that the nail is set to when putting up the siding. You may find that with a regular framing nailer that you blow through some sections of the siding and have to pound some other nails in where there is more resistance to the nail. IMHO the siding nailer is the right tool for that job, and I dito the SS ring shank for the best installation.
    lou

Exactly as Mr. Sansone and others said.
    But if you have your heart on a framing nailer
    by all means buy it. Then go rent a siding nailer.
    You will always find a use for the framer.
    Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Thanks

Thank You everyone for your responses

Although my wife and I like the low maintenance of vinyl we do not think it will look right on our house or in the neighborhood. (All the other houses have some type of wood siding.) I was hoping to get the fraiming nailer only because I thought I would have more chances to use it in the future. Renting unfortunately is probably not a cost effective option. Due to my work schedule and my work crew (me and a buddy) work will be slow and piece meal. So I could end up renting a Nailer for several days end up costing more than buying. If a siding nailer is the way to go thats what I will get,but just hoping to get the best of both worlds. So no decision yet keep the comments coming. They are much appriecated.

Tim

The framing nailer would work OK for the T111 sheet siding-- if the nails are going to deep you could always regulate the air pressure with a regulator or by adjusting the compressor switch. When installing aluminum or vinyl siding the nails are never driven in tight to allow for expansion -- this helps prevent buckling when the temperature changes.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Palmer
    So I could end up renting a Nailer for several days end up costing more than buying. If a siding nailer is the way to go thats what I will get,but just hoping to get the best of both worlds.
    Tim
    Tim, If you are figuring the rental cost of the gun based on the daily rate, don't. Rental companies also have weekly and monthly rates that are far more favorable. I did this with a flooring nailer once. I think the daily rate was something like $20-$30, but the monthly rate was only about $65-$80. I returned it after about 3 weeks and it only cost me $55. This was about eight years ago.