Thread: Pulled the trigger on a PC 4212...w/gloat

Pulled the trigger on a PC 4212...w/gloat

So what can I expect?

Did alot of searching and everyone seems very pleased with it. I know there are others out there, but for what I do now, it's well within my budget Got a few projects coming up that I've been putting off because I wanted dovetail drawers, now it looks like I can start on them and get those knocked out...

I'll even gloat it....got if shipped to my door for $105

Thanks for any info...

Troy
    Last edited by Troy Turner; 04-17-2012 at 8:51 AM.

Well lets start with NO PICTURE it didn't happen....

I have the 4212 and have had very good luck with it, I bought some pine from HD and took an evening to play with it and understand how it all worked. It does a great job once you understand how things effect the joint.

I know, I know...No pics... But I was excited Once it makes its way to the shop, I'll post some pics.

Plan on attaching it to a piece of ply to clamp to the bench and run my scrap pile through it a few times. Already downloaded the manual and advanced manual. Now I just have to keep the drool to a minimum

IMHO, you need both the regular instruction/owners' manual AND this one.

It's well worth the time to look through them both....

Good jig. Enjoy it !
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

making your first dovetail drawer with a router jig is one of the greatest delights in woodworking... until you learn how to cut them by hand! enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    IMHO, you need both the regular instruction/owners' manual AND this one.

It's well worth the time to look through them both....

Good jig. Enjoy it !
    I was going to mount mine on a board and never did, it just clamps right to my bench with 2 Quick clamps.

Here are some images from the first night working with it, I would say it can do a good job.

82430911.iHHcsqK4.P7171458.jpg82430912.CeyZ0DAl.P7171457.jpg82465460.YTEQEyEN.P7181461.jpg

Congrats!

Don't drop it though, they don't bounce. DAMHIKT!

Sounds like you got a great price on it. I really like mine and have just cut my first dovetails with it. Yes, it is a good feeling to make your first dovetails, but I am a long way from trying it by hand. I made a box for mine. I think the plan is from Shopnotes or WoodSmith. Its not necessary, but the infeed and outfeed and raised height is pretty nice.
    Mike

Watch Woodcraft's sales flyer. A couple years back, they put Whiteside's bits to fit 4212 on sale. I snagged a set for about half price. I even bought a second jig (used) just to get bits. Included were original, a set of Rockler's and a set of Whiteside's. Second jig cost me about $75, while first was paid for using CC points on a card that I was dumping.

Mr.Huber - those are some excellent first joints. The box joint looks really good.

Mr. Turner - break out that camera once you get some test runs ! Good luck and enjoy !

$5.00 more than I paid for my 4210. I'm busted.
    You have a good fixture.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'll definitely take some pics. I owe them now since I gloated a little

I just hope mine turn out as good as Bill H's scraps...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    I'll definitely take some pics. I owe them now since I gloated a little

I just hope mine turn out as good as Bill H's scraps...
    You have to remember I did not take pictures of the pile of scrap I made before I took the pictures.

The one thing that I did do was as I cut each joint I made notes of what I changed and how it effected the joint. It really is a good jig and I will bet that within a few joints you will have it.

Alright, here's my pics for my gloat. Man, this is one nice jig. When it recommends that woods be X 1/4" wide, they're right. Get much better results. Oh yeah, and DON'T USE THE THROUGH DT TEMPLATE FOR HALF-BLINDS. It ain't gonna work.

Still got some tuning up to do and they're not as pretty as Bill's, but I'm still proud

photo-1.jpgphoto-2.jpgphoto-4.jpg