Thread: best 50$ I ever spent...

best 50$ I ever spent...

I bought the log this came from for 50$. Since then I have gotten several freebees from the same guy. I posted this when it was rough-turned several months ago. I finished it last night and don't have a great picture of it but this will do till I get the tent set up. It is Ambrosia Maple with spalting and burl eyes in it as well. It even has a couple of voids, they made me a little nervous when sanding. I had to leave the rim a little thicker than I lit due to the void being so close and not wanting to loose a section of the rim. It is sanded to 400 grit and has a couple coats of walnut oil. Just for reference I added a picture of the before picture. Comments are welcome and thanks for looking. Russell
    Attached Images Attached Images

What beautiful wood! Great job on the bowl. I have some maple very similar to this and I know how difficult it can be to turn.

There are some big holes there. No one wants pieces flying off. Must have been a bear to sand.
    C&C WELCOME

Wow!! There sure is a lot going on with that one! When you say log, Russell, how much of it is burly and spalted? I assume most all of it is Ambrosia.

Good stuff!!

John the burl is hit and miss, the spalting is constant throughout. I still have a hollow form that has to be returned. I need a steady rest or a catchers mitt. It has a lot of voids as well.

Beautiful bowl Russell! Amazing grain!

Good luck using a steady rest with lots of voids! I found it usually made the ride too bumpy... and try to hollow without a rest. Course, that all depends on the form. Have fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is a beauty Russell. The wood and voids just make it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's an amazing piece of wood! Is there more of it? You mentioned a "log"...
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    Absolutely superb. Love the inclusion and the burl is georgeous.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

David it was a log about 2' long. I have a couple of small cutoff sections left. I turned a captive ring goblet out of it about 2 weeks ago. I may return the hollow-form tonight. Just depends on how much courage I can muster.

Looks very nice!

Russell, I wasn't expecting to see those voids in the finished bowl, based on your rough out pic, but they sure add a terrific new element; even though the grain has enough character by itself. Great job bringing that one to a finish! My wife would say that's the kind of bowl where I kept my marbles (which explains how I keep losing them...). Well done sir!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2