Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: veritas tongue and groove plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    How does the LV plough compare size-wise to the record 044? A well-made t/g option might cause me to make the switch.
    Essentially the same size. Detailed comparison in Derek's review http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...w%20Plane.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Zach -

Since it's still mostly on paper, I'll say yes....

But it's at least a year off - lots of parts and tooling to do... the small one's good to go....

.... c'mon.....

... you know you want it.....

Cheers -

Rob
    (laughing and typing at the same time....)
    I do want it, but I am quite attached to my Record 044. I think I am subconsciously afraid to get a Veritas plough because I am afraid it will replace the Record.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I do want it, but I am quite attached to my Record 044. I think I am subconsciously afraid to get a Veritas plough because I am afraid it will replace the Record.
    You can rationalize owning both by telling yourself that you will save time on your projects by leaving your record set up for 1/4" grooves and setting up the Veritas for other specialized tasks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Rob
    (laughing and typing at the same time....)
    You sir, are a bad bad man.

I do hope theres a tool roll though. 37 irons? Dang.

And I hope the large plow is unhanded, so I'm not tempted by two of them.

Somehow I think Rob will try to break the record for the number of irons with the large plow.

Hmm, that would be a good April Fool's tool. "Buy our new extra large plow plane. You'll need both hands to lift it, but it comes with 237 irons all in one convenient Veritainer. You can cut open a tin can with iron 58 (normally used for hogging off material) and then plane wafer thin slices from a ripe tomato with iron 113 (our 36 degree radiused smoothing iron)."
    Last edited by Gary Herrmann; 04-20-2012 at 2:13 PM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Hmm, that would be a good April Fool's tool. "Buy our new extra large plow plane. You'll need both hands to lift it, but it comes with 237 irons all in one convenient Veritainer. You can cut open a tin can with iron 58 (normally used for hogging off material) and then plane wafer thin slices from a ripe tomato with iron 113 (our 36 degree radiused smoothing iron)."
    LMAO.. Why am I visualizing a multi-port "air bag" option... sort of like the Saw-Stop of hand tools!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Rob,
    As your current plough plane is very similar to the Record 044C, will it be possible to use your new T&G option on it as well?
    Maurice

I have not been here for some time on any kind of a regular basis and what do I find more baubles from Rob Lee the man is truly devious.

Just a matter of curiosity but at some point will there also be groups of hollows and raounds to go with either the small or large Plow planes.

I would add I do have the small one now and I almost giggle everytime I use it it is that much fun.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Hi Rob,

Sounds very cool. One question. Do you plan to make a bigger plow plane one day ? Or maybe add some nickers on the plane for cross grain planing ?
    Probably new holes in our wallets on the way

Thank you.
    Last edited by Erwin Graween; 04-23-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Rob,
    As your current plough plane is very similar to the Record 044C, will it be possible to use your new T&G option on it as well?
    I would doubt it very much. They are similar size, not identical as far as I know. Rob's trying to sell planes after all, plus Veritas designs always strive to improve on the old.

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt View Post
    I have not been here for some time on any kind of a regular basis and what do I find more baubles from Rob Lee the man is truly devious.

Just a matter of curiosity but at some point will there also be groups of hollows and raounds to go with either the small or large Plow planes.

I would add I do have the small one now and I almost giggle everytime I use it it is that much fun.
    I'd like to have hollow and rounds.... that would be with the large plane though.

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Rob,
    Hi Maurice -

Pretty sure the answer is no...but will have to check....and will do so!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Graween View Post
    Hi Rob,

Sounds very cool. One question. Do you plan to make a bigger plow plane one day ? Or maybe add some nickers on the plane for cross grain planing ?
    Probably new holes in our wallets on the way

Thank you.
    Hi Erwin -

Absolutely. It's still a ways out though, but is an active project...

Cheers -

Rob

Blast!

I just purchased a Montgomery Ward 45, because I couldn't wait any longer for the upgrade to the Veritas Small Plow Plane! Looks like I'll be saving up again

Craig J. Brain
    Canberra

One thing I think would be cool to see would be side beads. Maybe with interchangeable beech soles? In say 1/8", 3/16" 1/4" and 1/2". Like this Kimberly...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trevor Walsh; 04-25-2012 at 7:35 AM.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

:O

That would be great if you could make hollow and rounds! I will start setting aside a "large plow plane with hollow and rounds" fund now.