Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: veritas tongue and groove plane?

Thanks Joshua. I don't have the plane but at this point am just speculating what other uses I might find for it.

I've used Stanley #45 beading blades in the Small Plow. They are too long to engage the blade adjuster - remove it and adjust the blade manually.

You could also cut down and add slots to old blades ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Here are a few pics of the Small Plough using a #45 beading blade.

The blade fits well as long as you forego the adjuster (remove it).

The depth of cut is actually controlled by the skate now (the blade is hollow), and not the depth stop. You will need to set it twice: once for the initial cuts, and then again as the blade needs to go deeper.

Here is the result on an edge (Tasmanian Oak - similar to White Oak but more interlocked) ..

.. and on the face ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob

Nice addition to the small pow plane. I like your idea of making one tool more versatile instead of a dedicated tool for each task. Could I ask you to seriously consider making blades for beading detail too? The sizes of 1/8 and 1/4 diameter would be great. Everything is already there for cutting the bead detail as far as fences and depth stops. All we need are the blades.

Ed
    Some claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.

William F, Buckley, Jr.

When I mentioned the use of the #45 blades to Alf, she had a go as well. Alf noted that the skate was interfering with planing, as I had mentioned but, unlike my successful efforts, she experienced difficulty creating any beads. So it may not be as reasonable as I indicated early. Try it for yourself. You may be happy .. or not.

Regards from Perth

Derek