Thread: Ridgid 12 volt Drill Experiences

Ridgid 12 volt Drill Experiences

I read a few magazine tests and reviews that looked OK. Then I went and got a Ridgid R92009 kit that came with a free extra battery.
    I registered for the Lifetime Service Agreement ( LSA) on the drill and 2 batteries in the kit. The extra free battery that I got with the deal was rejected for the LSA by Ridgid when I gave them the serial#. OK no big deal, it was free, but now I have to keep track of the battery has no LSA. Then I read a few more reviews indicating a lot of Ridgid 12volt batteries going bad. These reviews may be on first generation 12volt ,but I started to get concerned.

Say my first registered battery goes bad. Won't the replacement battery have a serial number that is different than the original LSA registered battery? How do the replacement batteries get registered with the LSA so they are covered in the future?

I have 2 questions.
    1- How reliable are the 12volt Ridgid drills and batteries?
    2- Have you received replacement batteries with the LSA and been able to keep getting new free batteries?

I bought into the "Life Time Service Agreement" come on with the 18V with Li batteries just over 3 years ago. Went through all the hoops to get them registered and one quit after a year. I checked into getting it replaced but I was required to send in everything to verify if it was the battery. Too much hassle at the time and no back up. Forward to 3 years and 1 month and I decide to do what is needed to replace the bad battery because the other one is going out as well. Checked the site and they claimed the "Life Time" was three years on the batteries. NOT eligible for replacement.
    Guess who will never see another penny of my money. Pieces of crap.
    Good Luck in getting yours replaced'

Kim

LSA applies to batteries included with tool. I bought the drill / light with extra free battery. Sales card in HD plainly stated extra battery was covered by LSA. I think they are running that deal again, so check HD and read advertisement. If it says covered, have HD make you a copy. Somewhere here I have a copy of add, just in case Ridgid developed amnesia. I bought one of the first sets about five years ago and signed up for LSA. At that time all drills used same serial number, as did battery sets. I've gotten several of sets of replacement batteries under LSA. But I use my drills in my business, which means in most months I put over a year's worth of home owner use on my drills.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-17-2012 at 9:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 of the original little guys. I have had to swap both batteries once in about 3 years. Lithiums don't have the long life of the old style but, stay charged much longer and run till they just stop so this is fine by me. Besides, they just give you new ones. BTW, remember to re-register the new serial numbers when you get your batts swapped or the LSA goes south.

I agree that both batts should be covered. I would pursue that as once the batt dies, you'll wish you would have put out the effort. These are the most used drill motors in my shop and I have two DeWalts, a Makita and a Bosch impact. The full 3/8" chuck and the great balance is what makes me reach for them first.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Bruce , I'll track down the sales card.

Thanks Glenn, I'm sold on the LSA idea. It's a little hassle but better than paying for batteries.

Good to know both of you like the drills and have had the LSA work successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Thanks Bruce , I'll track down the sales card.

Thanks Glenn, I'm sold on the LSA idea. It's a little hassle but better than paying for batteries.

Good to know both of you like the drills and have had the LSA work successfully.
    CALL Ridgid and TELL them that sales card said ALL were covered by LSA! Remember that the wheel that squeaks loudest gets greased first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    CALL Ridgid and TELL them that sales card said ALL were covered by LSA! Remember that the wheel that squeaks loudest gets greased first.
    I just called Ridgid. They will not give me LSA on the free battery. The Ridgid rep said no matter what it says on the card only the 2 batteries in the kit are covered.

So I'll keep the free one for a spare sitting on the shelf. According to Ridgids booklet if I charge it once every 6 months it should stay alive and act as a spare when the LSA batteries are being replaced.

Still a great deal. I have many $ in non Ridgid cordless stuff that is dead. It's useless until I can find batteries/rebuilders for less than $30 each.

[QUOTE=Andrew Joiner;1913789]I just called Ridgid. They will not give me LSA on the free battery. The Ridgid rep said no matter what it says on the card only the 2 batteries in the kit are covered.

Call him back and ask who in your state is their legal rep. When he asks why, tell it so you can sue them in small claims court for false advertising. You will be seeking "performance." Also do the same for HD. Ridgid/ HD will have to go to the expense of sending someone to small claims court. A couple of batteries are a heck of a lot cheaper. Think about the lady in California who opted out of the class action suit with Honda about gas mileage on hybrids, but instead went to small claims court, where her award was tripled. Remember that "The wheel that squeaks loudest gets greased first."
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-18-2012 at 9:34 PM.

I'll have to see the card myself. The girl at the checkout tossed it after she scanned it. HD is 40 miles round trip so next time I go I'll grab a card. Yes, if it says lifetime on the free 3rd battery I'll push for it.

My Ridgid 12V batteries only lasted 10 months. When I took the tool and the 2 batteries to the service center the guy behind the counter said they had been replacing a lot of Ridgid Lithium batteries under warranty the past few months. Might be true.. might not YMMV.

I have had a few Batteries go bad in a combo set I bought over 8 years ago that came with a free battery that was not covered under the LSA and had no problems getting replacements . The batteries then all have the same SN # so it didn't matter if it got mixed up, they can't tell which was the free one. I don't know if the newer one have different SN# on each battery. Instead of putting it on the shelf just file a small mark on the battery to keep it seperate. If it dies O well it was free. I like the ridge tools because of the LSA and will still buy they today.
    Scott
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scotts...07823195931463

It is funny, when you take apart those little 12v. batteries from Ridgid, Milwaukee or Bosch you will find all 3 of them have the same batteries in them, same brand and all, the only difference is in the little board on top or the connector location.

When I had the Bosch, the batteries that came with it did not last at all. Then I got the Ridgid and I had to replace one of the 2 I had within 2 months and now I have the Milwaukee and have 5 batteries and one of them had to be replace within the first few months.

Its like if they last for a few months then they are going to last a long time.

I got rid of mine after two packs failed. Sure, they replaced them, but each time I had to jump through the usual hoops and drive 30mi to their nearest service center. Not worth the hassle. I happily paid more for something with better QC and more convenient service.
    - Tom

I never registered my ridgid batteries, or tools or anything. It looks like that was a good plan now, as both are over 3 years old. It would've been a waste of time.

Edit: just checked and their website says the LSA covers batteries (and doesn't give a time limit unless you don't register - if you don't register it's 3 years). The items listed as not covered by the LSA doesn't include batteries.

It does say you have to bring them to a service center, though. If your time is worth anything, then it's probably not even worth it to do that unless you have a bunch of them.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 04-19-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Yes, nothing is perfect. The experiences I've read from creekers that I respect indicate you do get free batteries. Is it worth the hassles? I'll find out.

It was either pay $100 for a pair of batteries to keep my old drills (with marginal chucks) going or pay $139 for a new set with a ratcheting one hand chuck.

My real solution for a driver drill I can trust-- I bought the corded Ryobi D47CK and a $30 retractable cord reel. It's the only corded drill with a clutch I could find, but it's turned out to be good, powerful, and no batteries to worry about. This will serve 95% of my driver/drill needs. I bought the Ridgid 12 volt for the rare time I'm away from my workbenches. But to be honest I wanted to try one for fun and my old cordless was dying.