Thread: Powermatic 90

Powermatic 90

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying Powermatic 90 lathe. Current asking price is $525. Apparently it is in good working order (although from the photo it could do with a coat of paint). Is this a reasonable price?

How practical / expensive would it be to add riser blocks to inscrease the capacity.

Thank you

Ian

I could be wrong, but IMHO the you might be asking too much from the motor by increasing the swing.

3. Ian,

Check with Mike Cruz..........he fully refirbished a PM 90 and put riser blocks, and a inverter on his.........it is a sweet machine, and his was about the price you mentioned if I remember correctly and not in very good condition. He has a thread on his rebuild here on SMC.........do a search and you will find it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Ian, click on my name, and search under Threads Started. Go back (I don't know...a year plus?) and you'll see the thread I started on the completion of the lathe. Actually, I started a couple threads re: the subject.

Bottom line is this. The PM90 is not intended to be a big bowl lathe. YES it is beefy. But most of its weight is high up, with a sheet metal type base. Great for spindle turning, but large out of balance blanks can torque the base...making it "move" or "wobble". Add risers, and you are just making it worse.

THAT SAID, I think I just found the solution! I paid my local fabrication shop to make me a piece of 1/4" steel that is 6" wide and about 12" long. I bolted that to the top of the back of the base (on the headstock end), and to the wall (on the stud). MUUUUUUUUUCCCCCHHHHHHH better. The base can't flex anymore. So, if anything is moving, it is the stud in the wall...not so easy. If you need pics, let me know. I'll also help with whatever questions you may have...IF I can remember...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thank you all. If the auction price doesn't go too high I'm going to take the plunge. I'd love a 3520B but this PM 90 is a lot nearer my current budget. I'm more than happy spending time and elbow grease 'upgrading' the PM 90 to do what I want. Watch out Mike - If I end up buying it you will be my new best friend!!!

Sounds like a plan!
    I drink, therefore I am.

The PM 90 is a killer machine. Great "vintage" American iron that will blow the sox off of anything on the current market for under four grand.
    Worth a bit of work to restore and a steal at under six hundred for a good working machine. Here's the thread with pics of Mikes restro.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...te!&highlight=

He did a spectacular job on his!
    David DeCristoforo

Here is a good example of riser blocks someone made. Price seem ok if it's in good condition. Is it 220v single phase or 3 phase? You would have to add another $150.00 if you have to convert single phase for your home.

http:// www owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110753&p=747974&hilit=pm90+ris er+blocks#p747974
    Last edited by John Keeton; 04-19-2012 at 8:36 AM. Reason: To remove link per TOS

I tried that link (cut and paste) and it was putting 20's and %'s in instead of periods. Anyway, sub them in and you can get to see the thread. He did a fantastic job. It isn't, however, all original parts in the sense that either the headstock (or maybe just the speed control) is period to the mid 70s to early 80s. Hey, parts are parts, and I think the lathe turned out fantastic!
    I drink, therefore I am.

It's a great machine and a fairly easy restore. It was my first lathe and mine came from a school shop. I replaced the bearings and added a TECO fm50 vfd and it was brilliant. A bit loud due to the reeves mechanism vs. the digital invertors on the new toys, but a SOLID machine nevertheless.

I sold it for a break even cost 9 months later to a friend, but could have gotten at least 50% profit if I were looking to make money on my investment. You can't go wrong and once it's tuned up, you can expect another 20 years of work out of it. No, it's not great for big bowls, but an 11" bowl is still a health piece and it can do outboard fairly easily (though different threads than inboard which is 1 1/2 x 8tpi) for platters and such.

G'luck on your bidding!
    mike

Well the price shot up to way beyond my comfort level ($711) in the last few minutes of the auction.
    Thank you all for your advice, comments and opinions.

Ian

Keep your eyes open, Ian. They come around from time to time. Though I have to say that $700 for a PM90 in good condition is a pretty good price (if you don't plan to do any restoration and upgrades on it).
    I drink, therefore I am.

This is a thread on a 1980 Powermatic 90 that I restored. I paid $500 for the lathe and it came complete with a 1 hp single phase motor. I fabricated 3" risers out of countertop grade particle board and formica. They were cheap to make and are holding up very well. I also put the same risers on a 1955 Powermatic 90 I restored.

http:// www .owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93949
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 05-15-2012 at 7:22 AM. Reason: direct link to another forum is against TOS