Thread: Another band saw?

Blog Entries

Another band saw?

I go to pick up my Laguna LT14 SUV bandsaw tomorrow. WoodCraft had one all put together with the DriftMaster Fence, mobility stand and Resaw King blade on it. So I want even have to put it together, although I imagine she will need a little tuning.

The deal I worked got me the blade for free which is good since I am a little concerned about the 1" Resaw King on this saw despite a number of people including Wood Craft and Laguna swearing it is the best/most popular blade for the saw. I am wondering what other blades I should pick up? I should add I have a small Inca bandsaw that I plan to leave set up with a smaller blade for cutting curves. The Inca takes 1/2 " and smaller baldes. I have a good range of Woodslicer blades for it. Should I get something smaller for the SUV too. I am going to start out with the Laguna in my garage, at least until I get my shop rearranged and maybe indefinitely. It will be much easier to work larger pieces of wood in the garage than in the shop. The garage even has a better plastic floor, heat...I even have a 230 line run from the shop panel to the garage. The electric heater runs on 230.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-19-2012 at 11:51 PM.

First, forget everything I said about the 1" blade, consider it the ramblings of a fool and approach the blade like it is just what you need, otherwise you will second guess the blade and there is no need to. Second, especially if the saw hasn't been used watch the assembly and setup videos on Laguna's site and go over the saw to make sure everything is assembled correctly, most likely that was the first Laguna anyone there had assembled and I am not calling them out just saying display models of every type have been known to need some tweaking.

I might wait on different blades for the Laguna, you may find it easier to keep the RK mounted in the SUV and use the Inca for curves and small work, it isn't like the Inca isn't an excellent saw.

If you do decide to get more blades look for a local industrial supply that uses quality (Lenox and Starrett are two) bandstock and chances are you will get higher quality and cheaper prices. If you prefer the online approach Spectrum Supply is an excellent source and they have a full service website. I know Highland is local to you but just to show the price differences take a look at the Kerfmaster blade from Spectrum, it is the same as the Woodslicer but about 40% cheaper depending on length. Point being if you are not getting a "deal" on other initial blades I would wait.

You are gonna love this saw, the RK and the DM fence! As I said before it is time to look into the wonderful world of veneer, you have a bandsaw/blade/fence to really enjoy it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help again Van. The saw has not been used. I will be checking it out thoroughly. I have heard Highland's bandsaw blade prices are a little rich, just as well as it is at least a half day trip there and back. Highland does run a 20% off on one item sale regularly.

I will see if WoodCraft has any info on cutting veneer tomorrow. My wood supplier stocks lots of crotches and I will be there shortly to pick up some of their roughs to make my workbench base from. My new saw should be busy soon.

Can I ask what you paid for it setup like that? That's the identical setup, from the same chain, as I'm pondering purchasing.