Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way to quickly mark black plastic? - toolboxes, power adapters

I have silver and gold metallic sharpies and they don't work too well on dark plastics and metals for me. Not that easy to see and if the surface isn't cleaned well then it doesn't go on too well.

I have a set of grease pencils in white, red, etc that are supposed to be used on glass that can write on most things...

(I just realized that Damon suggested grease pencils after I typed this...)

>>>> I find Sharpies don't show up on black plastic.

You can buy white or light gray colored Sharpies. I use them to identify power cord plugs, black plastic power tool boxes and anything that is black plastic. You can also use white plastic electrical type tape and write in black or any other color.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
    I would use white Brother labels. They are easier to read than my handwriting and the adhesive is very good.
    That's what I do. I use them all the time. For black objects, I use the white on black labels. Blend in great and look sharp.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

White masking tape and a black sharpie. I can read those suckers on the shelf from halfway across the room. If I'm really ambitious I'll use my printer to make a label on white computer paper, then use that clear 2" packing tape to stick it to the box. That stuff sticks to anything!

I guess silver on black would work, but black on white is more visable from a distance.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I wanted to label my Pneumatic Nailers and I tried various labels but non would stick to the rough surface. So I took some scraps from an aluminum flashing I had laying around and cut out some rounded metal strips and pop-riveted it to the cases that I couldn't stick labels to. Then I used my P-touch label machine to make labels for each of my tools.
    Nailer-Case-Label.JPG

I used white out only because I had it.
    It doesn't brush out all that well -- it's too thick.

Nail polish works better.
    The dollar store sells it cheap.
    Comes w/a built in brush and dries instantly.

Pink and hot pink show up best on black - - but - - be prepared to take some ribbing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bonde View Post
    I use a silver sharpie, they make both a paint tip one and a felt tip one - both work well for me.
    yup... I use the metallic silver felt tip... Shows up perfectly on black and dark colors.

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/me...nt-marker.aspx

MetallicFinePoint_Silver.jpg
    Last edited by Mike De Luca; 04-19-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Paint markers. White or yellow works well. Welding or office supply stores carry them.

Get a permanent marker. I have a silver color one that works great on black / dark surfaces.

I print a label from my label maker and stick it on, or stick a white label on it and write.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Stathatos View Post
    I need to mark very dark woods (cocobolo) on a regular basis. I've tried paint pens and lumber crayons but the paint pens were always drying out on me and the tips get fouled up. The lumber crayons were yellow and I still couldn't see them very well on the dark woods. I finally found Sharpie China Markers, basically a grease pencil, and they come in white. Always 'ready to go' and they last a long, long time. Also, easy to remove after you misspell 'nutz' or if you change the contents of your container. I get mine at an Art Supply store but they're widely available online as well.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1714/Sharpie...FRJlhwodqSlzvw
    To mark wood, and I know what you mean because I use a lot of dark wood, I put a strip of masking tape over where I want to mark and then write on that. Then I can get a nice, pencil this line for whatever I want to do. You can also scribe a line and rub some chalk on it, and I do that too.

Blog Entries
    -1 on paint pens... the paint can chip off. +1 for the silver sharpie...