Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salvage DC ?

Salvage DC ?

I have the opportunity to buy a Torrit DC system from the company I work for (Model VS 1200). The original use was a recovery system for a sandblasting system. It is pretty heavy duty, but I don't know if it fits the woodworking application.

I'll need a new motor, it's 3HP, but 3-phase (I think I can get a trade). It has two stage filtration, a canister type and a final Hepa filter that is rated at 99.7% at 3 microns. The supplier said it would pull around 1000 CFM.

My concern is the impeller style and size. As you can see in the photo, it looks like a squirrel cage type blower. The opening is only 8" across, so I question the CFM.

It's pretty good deal, but am I wasting my time and money on the wrong type of system

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Here's a full picture
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Interesting feature

The small motor on the inside turns an eccentric cam that seems to tap the top of the filter. My guess is that this keeps the biuld up off of the pre-screen.
    Torre

Pete

Looks like there are several things that are against you here.
    1, motor replacement.
    2, wrong fan type.
    Probably would be ok picking up wood dust, but on wood chips, they would probably hang in the fan and plug up.
    You need to consider the cost of unit, cost of motor changeover, cost of finding another fan that would adapt to this unit.
    Then compare that cost to a boughten ready made unit. Steve

Looks like little capacity. Maybe 5 gallons in the slide out tray ? It might be good for sanding dust. If the only cost is hauling it off, I think it would be worth while - if for no other reason then swap material. Doesn't appear to well suited for chip collection.

more detail

I guess I should have provided more detail.

If I buy this unit, I will install it downstream from a cyclone, so chips are not a problem.
    Torre

Peter,

I don't think the unit will have enough power, especially with the cyclone added. If 1000 cfm is correct the I know it won't have enough power.

Terry

Terry, if that thing is mounted to the exhaust of a cyclone, wouldn't it be "helped along" by the output of the cyclone, and maybe adding a little boost itself? And, if it were catching only the finest of the fines, wouldn't 5 gal capacity be adequate? (Unless he used sanders in lieu of the TS, planer, jointer, etc.)
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason,

I believe Peter is talking about using it to power the cyclone in a pull thru configuration. If that is the case then it will not have enough umph to get the job done. Squirrel cage type fans will simply not support the kind of sp numbers in a DC system.

If it were installled on the clean side of a powered cyclone, I could not see how it would be of any benefit.

Thanks,

Terry

Another problem is that squirrel cage type fans loose their ability to move air when dust builds up on the vanes which would quickly happen in moving fine dust.

Guess I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how a cyclone works...I thought the exhaust still contained some fine particles that would need to be filtered, or is that not the case?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Hmmm

Got to thinking about this unit. What about using it for a dedicated unit for a sanding machine? Drum sander, belt sander, etc.

Originally posted by Jason Roehl
    Guess I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how a cyclone works...I thought the exhaust still contained some fine particles that would need to be filtered, or is that not the case?
    Yes, this is true and if Peter wanted to use the Torit filtration without the squirel cage blower to deal with that, no problem...although it may be more expensive than building a filter setup himself. A Torit cartridge filter costs between $50 and $80, depending on the version, and a housing is possible with scrap lumber. I suspect that the system he found will cost more than that and given it was not designed for wood dust...well...I'm with Terry on this. Not really a good deal.

Thanks for the responses

I was hoping otherwise, but the feedback was kind of what I expected.

I am still a little confused as to why they would put such a large motor (3 phase -3HP) on a unit with such a small blower, but that is the next guys problem.

Now I just wait until I get around to building a DE

Thanks again
    Torre

I saw your information and pulled out my Torrit catalogue to see the details. The unit fan specification says that it will draw 700 cfm at 7.5" external static. Max flow listed is 1243 cfm @4.8" external static. Unlike woodworking manufacturer's cfm numbers, these are very reliable. The size and shape of the fan wheel indicates a modified airfoil wheel. This is more powerful than a "squirrel cage" fan, but not real heavy duty (12" static or more). this should be powerful enough for a cyclone.

I would say get it if you can get a helluva deal. Cost for this new is about $3000 or so. Grab it and run for $100, well worth it for $300, OK at $500, high at $800 considering the work you need to do to it.
    Doug
    Remember, wherever you go, I've probably already been there.