Thread: Tool Use Help... in Green Bay, WI

Tool Use Help... in Green Bay, WI

I just bought a Porter Cable 24" Omnijig. The big one that's model 77240.

It was a deal I couldn't walk away from and now i need to learn how to use it...

Anyone nearby have one and could spare an hour or two?

Thanks

Don't know the particulars of your acquisition Joe, but a new one should come with an instructional DVD. Absent that, here's a link to a promo video for it that may take some of the unknown out of it for you, along with other dovetailing videos that may prove inferentially helpful as well:
    Omnijig

- Beachside Hank
    Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

Hank,

Thanks for the link...

This thing is complex yet simple... Complex in that there are a lot of things associated with it's use... simple in that once you know how, it's easy to use..

Joe

If you don't have an instruction manual, here's a link to one on the rockler site: omnijig instruction manual

Joe,

I'm way too far away to help in person, but I own this jig. Shoot any questions you have and I'll answer them the best I can. I can give one piece of advice right now - watch out how you tighten the stops using that square head screw driver. The nuts are aluminum and strip in a twinkling. Also keep all the fingers screwed down firmly - not just the ones your using, but even the ones you move to the side. If you don't the nuts will vibrate out and play hide and seek with you on your shop floor.

Michael,

Thanks for the advice. I wish you were closer... I've found tons of videos on it's use, but nothing beats watching it being used and getting advice like you just shared.

Joe

Jig usage

Joe, did you happen to get the DVD with the Jig? Mine, use it often, came with an instructional DVD where Norm Abrams demonstrates it's use. Fairly informative, probable more so than their manual. I'm also available for any questions on using it. I use two separate routers, each set up with their own bit and bushing when doing through dovetails. Works great and you are able to switch between cutting tails and pins without having to worry about changing the fit of joints.

Dovetail jig DVD.jpg

I'd look for a copy of that DVD if you can find it.

Clint

Clint,

Yup, found the DVD... I'm sure it's incredibly informative... I was hoping someone local had one too and had a few minutes to demonstrate it for me...

To make proper dovetails, not only do you need to know how to adjust and use the jig... there is orientation of the boards as well...

I'll be banging out some scraps soon enough and simply learn by trial and error.

Thanks
    Joe