Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Gunstock

Custom Gunstock

This is a Stock I did for a customer on a Blaser F3 sporter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug,
    Looks great! How do you put the 'cross-hatch' in? It looks perfect!

Do you mean the checkering? It is done by hand with tools for checkering. They are basically little hand tools that cut evenly spaced v grooves. It is an exercise in patience for sure.

You work each line evenly untill the diamonds form points.

Very nice, Doug. What did you use for a finish?

Jeff, Thanks for the kind words.

This stock started as a blank. Here is a picture of the fore arm just after duplicating.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do oil rubbed finishes on my stocks. This particular gun I used a more modern finish knowing that this particular customer shoots in any weather. I used Daly's Ben- Matte.

Before I top coated it with that I had wet sanded it though the grits with BLO.

Beautiful work.

Very nice....What CNC do you use for the roughing out ?

Thanks, guys.

I don't use a CNC. I use a 1 to 1 duplicator I built. I fit the gun with a pattern stock that I can adjust to fit the shooter. Once we have the fit right I use the pattern in the duplicator and cut the good blank for the new stock. It takes quite a bit of hand work to get the stock mounted to the gun and worked to the exact dimensions needed.

I have heard some stock makers claim that cnc machines have no soul. I assume they just haven't embraced the technology or couldn't afford one. I honstly wouldn't know where to begin learning that process if I wanted to. since some of the wood used for stocks can be full of character it is nive to have control of the direction of cuts. I imagine a cnc could cut somthing the wrong way and destroy the blank. This particular stock blank was $1000 so I would be afraid to risk it.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Absolutely gorgeous work Doug!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

$1,000? woof. What kind of wood is it? Absolutely gorgeous results. Do you do this for a living?

did the blank cost a thousand before you did the work to it or after your work got added to it,Is the gun total cost quite high

English Walnut? Bastogne Walnut? Beautiful wood and beautiful work.

I've seen walnut gunstock blanks go for $1000 and up. You can probably find half a dozen on an auction site at any given moment. I've got a claro walnut gunstock blank in my shop a friend gave me. It's nice, but it's not exhibition quality.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    I don't know what looks better, the grain or the beautiful sculpting of it. Well done.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thank you. The gun itself is about $6000. The blank was $1000 before I touched it. It is English walnut. You can spend $300 or you can spend $4000 for wood.

I do stocks full time now for a living. I used to be a remodeling contractor but after 23 years of it I was just tired of it. This is completely different than building things flat, plumb, level and square. I am really enjoying it. I have a love of shooting clay targets and this was a way to combine my love of woodworking.