Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drill recommendation?

Cordless Drill recommendation?

It is time for me to get a new cordless drill. I have had a Dewalt for 4 years and have not had any problems with it, but was interested in your opinions. What drill do you like and why?

RJ

Robert Henderson Guest
    If I were buying....

G8600 Grizzly 18V, 1/2" Cordless Drill Kit

Features:
    18 volt power
    Johnson® 700 motor
    1/2" keyless Jacobs® chuck
    Variable speed, reversible
    Panasonic® NiCd battery
    15 clutch settings plus drill setting
    0-900 RPM
    Includes 1 hour quick charger, battery, 13-pc. drill bit and screwdriver

3. I have several 12v DeWalts which are okay. However, I bought one of those nifty Ryobi cordless saws that I found tremendously useful for doing trimming of twigs for rustic work. In the kit was a 14v flashlight and a 14v drill and I found that the drill was as every bit as good as the DeWalt so far. The whole kit was less than $100. I don't do heavy duty work with the cordless drills, but they get used very often.

dance with what brung 'ya

...If you 've been happy with the feel and performance of the DeWalt, why change? I use the 18v, have three, and really give them a work out. Excellent tool.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Well

I'm not a yellow fan till it comes to their miter saws. They are ok. I am a gray fan, [PC] on drills and routers. As above, if you are happy with your old one, stay with them. Steve

I'll second the grey and black. I had used a Craftsman 13.2 for about 4 years before it started to show major signs of deterioration (trigger didn't always work and batteries #2 & #3 were on their way downhill). So I went with the PC 14.4. I've had it about 1.5 years or so, and love it. So much torque and runtime. There's even enough torque to run 3" screws into PT lumber in the HIGH range, which seems to help save on batteries (IMO, not scientifically tested). Plus, I think it looks cool. If I had it to do over, I would spend the extra $20 and get the 1/2" chuck instead of the 3/8". It's got some heft to it, but not near as much as their 19.2V or others' 18V drills.

My 2¢.
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 04-29-2003 at 7:18 AM.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have had Crafstman 12v for about ten years and it has always been weak , nothing against crafstman i own a few of them . Recently i found a Porter Cable 14.4v with 1/2in chuck on the clearance rack at Fred Meyers for $65 with a charger and two batts and it has so much tourque i cant believe the diffrence. The batterys last a loooong time before needing recharged, i just could not imagine what a 18v would be like. the feel of this drill is alot better too. Good luck with your hunt .
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Popular woodworking just did a drill test,and Panasonic came out on top, Porter Cable was next, Dewalt was way down the list.

I have a Porter Cable 14.4 volt, and I am very satisfied with it. If I were buying a new one I would look at the Hitachi that Lowes is running on special now. It's a 14.4 volt, two batteries, and a flashlight, $89.00. I would also be curious to hear from any Hitachi owners. john

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Porter Cable

I agree with Steve. I'm not real excited about yellow. My first cordless drill was a Dewalt but I'm presently using a PC. I really like the PC.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

RJ,
    I'm very happy with my Bosch 14.4. The reversing switch, however, is not quite in the right place. I sometimes reverse the drill or put it in "neutral" just by twisting my hand the wrong way. It's very fast at recharging batteries--that's a BIG plus.

If I was replacing the Bosch, I would take a serious look at the DeWalt. Aside from some awkward moments with their jigsaw, I have a lot of DeWalt stuff (portable table saw, my PM 66 is not allowed to leave the shop, 12" SCMS, hammer drill, biscuit joiner, tool bag and belt, jig saw, radio, etc.) and am well pleased. Besides, it would allow me to use that great "Contractor's Radio" that my son got me last year and I haven't used because I have no DeWalt batteries to charge.

With today's technology, it's kind of hard to go wrong with anything you choose from the major manufacturers. As battery technology continues to explode(no pun intended), however, standardizing on one or two manufacturers may offer some economies.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

I have the DeWalt 18v which has served me very well for about 2 years. I'm satisfied with the power and torque. I've talked to other people who complain that they don't get much use on a charge but I've had no problems. It's also heavy compared to other 18v drills.

There was a comparison of 18v cordless drills in the March 2003 issue of Fine Homebuilding (Issue 153). The author of the article picked the Panasonic EY6432 (a 15.6 volt model). It was the smallest of the tools compared but in tests it drove 110 more screws than the closest 18v model.

I haven't seen or used the Panasonic but I've read positive remarks from people who own or use it. It might be worth a look...

-Kevin

I really like my Makita.

I can't say it is better than any others as I have not owned another cordless. The sheet metal (heat and air and such) guys around here use them and think they are more durable. That is why I bought mine. All I know is the 18V is heavy, the batteries hold up well, and the balance is good. I've had it about 2 years and use it all the time.

David

Yellow has always served me well. I perfer the 14.4 - I can screw a lot of screws w/ that before needing a new battery and it's a lot lighter than the 18V. But if you screw a lot of long (2"+) screws then 18V would be a better choice. But I've found very little that the 14.4 couldn't handle. It's too bad b/c they're harder and harder to find, w/ the 18V being the 'drill of choice' it appears.

Also read a very interesting review recently - unfortunately I can't remember where. One of the major WW mags. They compared specifically 18V drills, and Milwaukee brand scored better than the rest. More battery life, well built and a very comfortable grip - so much so that they really talked it up. After drilling in couple hundred screws their hand wasn't as tired w/ the Mil. brand b/c of the well designed grip. I haven't looked at them yet (b/c my Yellow Monster is working just fine...still) but if I ever need to replace it someday I plan on taking a close look at theirs. I seem to remember they also saying Milwaukee's drill was a recent redesign. Can't remember if the rest were or not.

And I know PC owners are very happy w/ their drills, but I have a friend who has one - 19.2V I think. I didn't like it at all. It was very heavy, very large, and my 14.4V battery lasted longer than his when we were sheetrocking his garage. Plus I was putting in more screws - the drill was lighter, I didn't get tired as fast I have to occationally remind him of that b/c he got a VERY nice Sawzall I covet. Mine is just the simple basic model. His is the 'whizz-bang' model....darn tool budget...

Anyway - I vote for DeWalt 14.4 or 18V, but give some serious consideration to the new Milwaukee. Prices were all about the same for the 18V models when comparing apples to apples.

Hope this helps.

PErry

Red makes me happy...I've tried real hard to wear this thing out but it keeps on going.
    400 in./lbs. Torque with 20 Position adjustment.
    Variable Speed in two ranges: 0-450/0-1500 rpm. Electronic Brake.
    1/2 in. chuck with hardened jaws for high gripping torque.
    Soft-grip T-handle design provides optimum balance and comfort.
    Model 0522-20
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan