Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 23 Gauge Headless Pinner Recommendations

23 Gauge Headless Pinner Recommendations

I am looking for a 23 gauge headless pinner. Does anyone have one of these and feel good recommending a specific brand or model? Thank you.

i have a grex and really like it.it only shoots to 1 3/8 so cant comment on larger pins.

I bought a Freeman a couple of years ago from Woodcraft, never any problems with it and was around $39.99. I think it shoots only up to 1" pins, any longer and I use an 18 gauge. I don't like the saftety on the trigger, but other than that it has been well worth it for me for occassional use. Whatever you buy you will love the fact you can harly notice the pin holes. It works great on picture frames and jigs in the shop.

Blog Entries
    I have the Grex and would recommend it. They make several models with the ability to handle different lengths.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have and like the Senco.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I also have the Grex. It's the only 23 gauge pinner I have used. It does not mar the wood at all, even on soft pine
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

One of the finest tools in my shop is the Max pinner. It was doubly expensive because now I really want to replace my Senco brad nailer with a Max too.

1.375 pin capacity is a must if you wish to nail .75" wood, such as cabinet face frame stiles.

Grex for me also, great pinner
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

+1 grex great for pinning small pieces like miter returns and tacking raised panel doors together while the glue dries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    One of the finest tools in my shop is the Max pinner. It was doubly expensive because now I really want to replace my Senco brad nailer with a Max too.

1.375 pin capacity is a must if you wish to nail .75" wood, such as cabinet face frame stiles.
    Thanks for that thought about the 3/4" wood; it would have been a huge oversight. It looks as though the majority of folks are indicating the Grex model....on the Internet those P635 models appear to cost about $200. Does anyone know of a good sale on a Grex?

No experience but Hitachi makes a pin nailer that will take a 1 3/8" pins. Big sky tool has 'em for $89.99 new and $59 refurb. I think Hitachi framers have a pretty decent rep, no idea about the small guns.

I have the Grex P635 and love it. Unlike some of the more inexpensive brands, it's self-adjusting for different length pins. No marring and never jams. I do wish I had the P645 (1-3/4")or P650 (2") for the occasional longer pinning needs.
    About the cheapest I've seen it is for $198 on Amazon with free shiiping.

I have a PC, and would not recommend it. I've used bostich and senco, both are decent. The PC sort of smashes its way in randomly and leaves marks that are very contrary to what I usually want a headless pin for, which is nearly invisible fasteners in small stock. And I hate the safety, just a nuisance. I will replace that gun as soon as money allows or a job requires it. I can't imagine needing much longer than 1" pins though, maybe 1 3/8" for some panel moldings for toe nailing. But realistically these things due to the nature of the headless pine have very little holding or clamping power. I've seen some with nearly 2" capacity, and wondered when I would ever need a 2" fastener and still be using a 23 gauge headless pin? I've used them primarily for attaching applied beads to inset face frames, for holding small panel molding that is glued on, and for initial tacking of jig assembly. Frankly they can't even be trusted to hold something in place that will later be clamped IME as they are not strong enough to withstand the twisting that comes from applying clamping pressure.

One retailer has the P645 for $278 while the P650 runs about $325. These are both good options since I will be doing trim work around windows and with tongue and grooved boards soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heffernan View Post
    I have the Grex P635 and love it. Unlike some of the more inexpensive brands, it's self-adjusting for different length pins. No marring and never jams. I do wish I had the P645 (1-3/4")or P650 (2") for the occasional longer pinning needs.
    About the cheapest I've seen it is for $198 on Amazon with free shiiping.

I would love a Grex or one of the high end pinners, but my infrequent use nixes the cost/benefit equation

I own a Harbor Freight 23 gauge pinner (yes, THAT HF) for $23. I do not use their pins; I use Grex (from Amazon).

I have done a number of projects to pin molding into Maple, Poplar and Pine. The HF NEVER JAMS, NEVER MISFIRES (at least not yet).

If I needed one for a commercial or heavy duty use where reliability is crucial, perhaps I would have chosen differently.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...8999/68022.pdf