Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 23 Gauge Headless Pinner Recommendations

I have the Hitachi, I've only run a few clips through it and it's done all the mahogany I've put in front of it. I don't know if it's commercial grade. All I'm hoping for is to have it hold out while I trim the house. I think it was 80.00 give or take.

The Harbor Freight one (which can be had on sale for $9) is one of their real "gems". It "feels" like it should be much more expensive.

That said, I don't know if the pins they sell are as good as some of the others - every time I've tried to use mine, easily 50% of the pins curl around and end up coming out the front of the work. I'm planning on getting some other brand pins to see if this fixes the problem...

Blog Entries
    Grex, no comparison The festool of pinners.

I had a Harbor Freight which worked great but was limited to 1" pins which IMHO are a little short if you ever want to tack together 3/4" pieces. Now I have a Bostitch which also works well. I probably would have bought a Grex, but stumbled across a clearance deal at an outlet store and got it for something like $50.

I don't use mine enough to justify a good brand name. I'm happy with my Harbor Freight.

I just went through this process.

There are 2 types: ones that shoot < 1" reliably, and ones that shoot slightly longer (1 3/8") ones.

The Grex is generally regarded as one of the best ones.

I ended up getting the Porter Cable PC138. It was about 1/2 price of the Grex. I find it to shoot 1 3/8" pins reliably. However, I am only a hobbyist. The PC138 does not do a good job of countersinking the pins. You can make it countersink by removing the protective plastic nose. However, this will cause denting. IMHO, flush pins are less visible than countersinked ones with little dents that require filling. If I wanted to fill, I'd just use an 18g nailer...

The Grex, it seems, does not have this 'bug'. Nonetheless, I am happy with the PC138.

If you want to only shoot pins < 1", then there are a bunch of options. The HF is popular, as is the Freeman and Husky nailers. All of these can be had in the $25 range...

+1 on the Grex 635
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

My HF does everything I need a pinner to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

YOUR money ? Grex or Cadex.

MY money: meh. My HF works pretty darned well
    He's no fun. He fell right over !

Thanks for all the information. I ordered the Grex 645L today. It looks like it will suit the needs just fine.

I have and like the Grex 650. It shoots the 2" pins into hardwood again without leaving a mark. You do, however, get the occasional pin that will curl back on you. I've only had this really happen when I'm shooting the 2" pins though. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

Clint

I have the HF also. Never a problem.

AZCRAIG

I too have the Harbor Freight and it has worked well, I don't use it a lot and felt a low end one would work out for me.

+1 for the Freeman on sale @ Woodcraft (don't know if it is now, but was when I "pulled the trigger." ha, ha, ha ...)
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

If you are willing to pay for it get a Grex or my second shoice would be Cadex. Either way and you will have a top of the line pinner.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.