Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A busy day in the shop.

Thanks everyone!
    I'm happy with how they all turned out, but I'm anxious to try the bigger elm piece, that should yield an 11" platter and it has even better figure. Patience definitely isn't my strong point, but I think I can hold off for another 2 or 3 weeks and maybe it will be dry enough to avoid much movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Every one of those is nice Kathy! I keep meaning to try some dye on the outside of a bland bowl sometime. Did you use an airbrush to avoid lap marks? Another toy on my list to acquire.
    That little step on the platter adds a lot!
    Baxter, I use a makeup sponge to apply the dye (got the idea from a post by John K for applying finish and it works just as well for dye). I mix my powdered dye with acetone, it dries almost immediately and wiping over any lap marks with the damp sponge removes and lap or drip marks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    Wow 103°! You are a tough cookie and I'm a wimp. At 90° I head in the house to the AC. Easy to see the heat didn't bother you when we see the results of the day. All wonderful pieces.

Sid
    Well I was wrong, it actually hit 105 , I just wish it had given us a little more time to aclimate. A week ago Saturday, we barely hit 65! It finally forced me to turn on the A/C and I was really enjoying the very low electric bills I've had for the last few months.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

"Well I was wrong, it actually hit 105 ,"- But it's a dry heat, it's not that bad

Very nice work Kathy. I really like the two-toned bowl.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Kathy Marshall, aka " The Turning Machine!!" Kathy, your forms are always well done. I like the dye applications, too.
    Kathy,
    What John said..... You are truely a turning machine and your work is stunning.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I like the dyed HF, I think the color works well with the shape. I'll have to remember that myself. Ditto for coloring the bowl.

But...if your platter is only 9", then it's really a plate. Plates are generally 12" and less, platters start at 13" and go up.

Blog Entries
    Hey Kathy, Ididn't realize ou were so close, I'm in Tucson. we hit 102 I think over the weekend. It's always a pleasure to see your work and these are no exception, very well done. We'll have to meet up some time.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.