Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

23 Apr 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
    After all the storms and rain moved through last week, we had a great weekend's worth of weather for us here. The family and I camped out (for the first time in YEARS) with several motorcycle friends of ours and we also visited a church where we camped on Sunday. It was a good weekend for everyone and some great riding weather. If you ever make it to Arkansas, you should go and eat at Cotham's Mercantile in Scott, Arkansas and get you a Hubcap Burger or a Fried Apple Pie or even a piece of their Mississippi Mud Cake...Totally AWESOME food.!!!

Today, it's back to the grind and back on my eating plan to keep loosing weight. I've lost 30 pounds so far and I still have another 44 pounds to go before I reach my goal weight. So it's back on the plan for me again.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I got a little shop time this weekend. All I did was piddle around, I worked on cleanup and organization and I sharpened all my chisels. I have a couple of family projects coming up and I have an original design dining table project that might actually make me enough money to buy me a new tool I was thinking maybe an oscillating spindle sander.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The only thing I did in my shop was a little tool storage rearrangement Saturday morning/early afternoon. In the afternoon we went to the nursery to look for a tree to replace one we lost 2 years ago during a bad storm and pick up a few other items. We took LOMLjr and a couple of her friends out to dinner and bowling Saturday evening for her birthday, then the friends spent the night while I hid in the bedroom watching TV. Sunday we spread about 10 yards of mulch on the playground, planted the bushes we bought Saturday, and took care of some other yard work. About all that's left of our spring cleanup is planting annuals, some new perennials, and the garden. Most of that needs to wait a few weeks.

Next weekend I'll be picking up the lumber for my next woodworking project so that will soon be getting underway.

I finally had it with 2 rose bushes that have only produced a combined 4 roses in 10 years and dug them out, and got made more progress on painting inside the house, as well as making good progress on cleaning out the shop. It appears that having no less than 6 concurrent projects only means that nothing other than making a mess gets done... I am cleaning now, so that I can get back to finishing the trim work in the laundry room... Once that gets done, assuming LOML gets somewhere with the painting she is working on, I will get back to patching and painting the vaulted ceiling in the living room. All that wind shaking that happened in Hurricane Ike popped quite a bit of tape joints, and the insurance, well they claimed it was that was prior to the storm... Okay whatever, I am gonna fix this thing and photograph the heck out of it for the next stupid storm...

I do need to, prior to finishing that, knock out a quick wedding gift as I have about 3 weeks prior to my oldest brothers wedding, this should be interesting. It's not like 2 young adults getting married and starting off. Or even 2 adults that are divorced and starting over after losing a marriage and half their stuff, but rather a widow and a widower (albeit somewhat youngish...) that are combining 2 otherwise complete and functioning households...

This should prove to be fun...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Zero shop activities for me over the weekend (and over the past week) - we had a family vacation and only just got back saturday. It started raining yesterday so I was hoping to start on a project but between unpacking and some kids' activities, I never got to it.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

A granddaughter and her two sons, ages 5 and 2 visited us for 9 days. Her hubby joined us on Friday evening. I did manage to get another coat of polyurethane on the sliding shelves for the entertainment center I'm building for my wife. I also managed to get the door hardware installed and the doors mounted. Whew! The entertainment center is 77 inches long with 4 doors across that span and I was sweating having them align properly. I pulled if off. Now another coat of poly on the shelves and one more on the doors and the top.

I need to recover from the many imaginary bullet holes in my body placed there by the visiting 2 great-grandsons.....LOL.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I straight lined, resawed, and surfaced about 135 Lnft of mahogany in prep for a big glue up for wainscoating in the house. I'll be book matching 2, 7" panels for 14" wide mission sty. Wainscoating. I'm beat this morning that was quite a workout.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Finally finished that tea rack I have mentioned the last couple of Mondays. It is mounted on the pantry door and already full.

Friday, woke up with abdominal pains which only got worse. Went to the doctor on Friday afternoon, and test confirmed blood in urine. This means that that 6 mm kidney stone they located (last August) in my right kidney was on the move. (Moving a kidney stone is like grabbing a cat by the tail and trying to pull him out of a downspout.) Stopped at drugstore on the way home and picked up pain medicine. Came home, started medicine, which literally knocks you out. but when it wears off, the pain makes you sick on your stomach. Continued med through Sunday morning. After a few doses, I then start having BAD dreams. Why anyone would want to steal to get this med is beyond me. Strained all urine, but only recovered a couple of flecks smaller than a salt crystal. Still passing blood, but pain has let up. Stopped med to prevent me hurting myself. Tomorrow go back to doctor for follow up. Had a wonderful weekend, as I don't remember most of it! Did watch some holzenwerken.net/videos. Took me forever to figure how adjustable fingers on box joint jig work.

i took my wife and daughter snowboarding at sugar bowl near lake tahoe and had the exquisite delight of finally being able to snowboard down a blue trail with my 9 year old daughter as well as my wife who i previously attempted to teach... with disastrous results!

Blog Entries
    Took puppy for long walk on Saturday morning. Afterwards, LOML & I went to Record Store day and purchased too much music. Spent the rest of the afternoon tuning mortise and tenon joinery. The little puppy is definately a shop dog. He aternated between sitting with me and visiting LOML as she did her silversmithing. Sunday I woke with a migraine. The imitrix took affect late morning. Did a dry fit of the project before putting away my tools for the week. I hate migraines.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

LOML and I went to upstate New York for a visit with our son and two grandkids last week and although it was finished before the weekend I think it still qualifies as an accomplishment. My son and I built the kids a new swing/playset.

IMG_4538.jpg
    Can you tell they're a little anxious to get going?

IMG_4504.jpgIMG_4526.jpgIMG_4534.jpg
    First project with Grandpa and we thought he did pretty good. We had fun building it and it sure looks like the kids approve of our efforts.
    IMG_4619.jpgIMG_4623.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation