Thread: Salt shaker help

Salt shaker help

I've made quite a few with the silver colored hole insert that comes with the peppermill kits, but I want to make one that is all wood on top, so had a couple of questions--I'm not planning on putting a plug in the top (although if I screw it up it may be a necessity )

-What's a good thickness to leave the top? Just thinking about it, it seems that too thick and the salt will have a tough time flowing thru the holes, also might make it difficult to clean out if damp salt plugged it up. But don't want to make it too thin either. I'm planning on drilling thru the bottom and just leaving the 'right' thickness at the top, then drilling whatever holes thru the end grain that's left. Its satinwood if that matters.

-Any thoughts on the size and number of holes? I think I'd like a little less flow than the metal tops, which often seem to let it gush out.

Thanks!
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

I have found that the size and number of holes is directly proportional to the thickness of the top. The thinner it is the smaller and fewer holes.

Start with 3 small holes and see if you like the flow. Enlarge the holes until you get the flow you are looking for.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Hi Dale;
    If you go for about 1/8" top thickness that should give you a good result. Come in from the bottom with a Forstner bit and then drill the small holes from the top.
    My "S" and "P" patern holes is kind of neat and you are welcome to try that out. I do not drill all the holes all the way through on the salt so I try to protect the user from using too much salt.
    good luck, I look forward to seeing your shakers.
    Peter F.

Thanks--what's a good hole size? Looks like the ones in the metal tops are 3/32. Is 1/16 to small? There are 5 holes in the metal tops I have, so I was thinking maybe 3 holes thru.
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

I knew a salt and pepper shaker collector awhile back, and she said that good collectible salt shakers should have only 3 smaller holes while pepper would be at least 3-5 larger holes. I can't see where that would make a difference, but people collecting them would know more about it than me. That said, I've made a bunch of S&P's that look a little like the ones Peter just posted, but I slightly rounded the tops of mine. That was a mistake because when I tried to drill the holes, my bit wandered and my drill pattern didn't look as good as I had invisioned. I've since made a mandrell so I can dome the top after I drill the holes.. 3/32" is about the size of most clay shakers you find. But if you like course ground pepper, it might not go through the holes, so larger holes, 1/8" or larger might be they way to go for pepper. The top thickness on mine is about 1/8"..... Jerry (in Tucson)

make sure you seal the inside with shellac and when you put salt in, put some rice kernels in...wood absorbs moisture and the holes will clog...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe