Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gallery M

Gallery M

On Sunday, my wife and I took some work over to Gallery M in Half Moon Bay. I have been aware of this establishment for many years but, for some reason, I never approached them. After sending some images, I was "invited" to bring some pieces for them to look at. So we took a drive over to the coast to meet Andreas Strieve, the owner and show him some pieces.

Our first impression when we walked in was very similar to the old "kid in a candy store" analogy. This gallery is a one room affair and it's very modest in size. But it is literally stuffed to the rafters with spectacular examples of the finest woodwork being done today. Everything from simple wood rings and key chain baubles to "man sized" wooden clockworks. Sculptures, dining room sets, rocking chairs, dressers, jewelry boxes, you name it. And top quality examples of turning everywhere you look. It might sound like a big jumble but Andreas has managed to display all of this in a manner that allows each piece to have it's own space so that everything complements rather than competes with it's neighbors.

Andreas is obviously an "aficionado" with a deep love of fine woodwork and a deep respect for those who produce it. Meeting with him was a refreshing change from the haughty "no time for you" attitude I have come to expect from gallery owners. He is a very "straight ahead" person who knows his business and who is obviously extremely fair minded. This was reflected in the consignment agreement we signed with him. The gallery does a 60/40 split with the bigger portion going to the artist. His consignment agreement is two pages of simple, understandable and fair terms that include prompt payment for pieces sold and full coverage by the gallery for any pieces lost or damaged.

I took nine pieces with me and came back with two. Andreas was very frank about business being slow these days but "picking up a bit lately". He made no big promises about how I was going to retire on the sales but promised to do his best to "find the pieces new homes". There was a steady stream of people through the gallery the whole time we were there.

When I got home, there was an email from Andreas asking for jpegs of the pieces he had so that he could put them on his web site. He obviously works at promoting and trying to sell the pieces he has. Overall, I was extremely pleased to have had a chance to meet him and I have no reservations about my work being in good hands.

http://www.gallerym.net/
    David DeCristoforo

sounds encouraging and refreshing! I suspect you'll be in good company from sounds of other work the gallery likes to represent. Nice rebound!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Congrats on finding such a nice temporary home for your work David. Hope it will soon find a permanent one. Glad you are pleased. Quality work is certainly being displayed!

4. Looking at their website..........they certainly do carry high end work! I think you have a real opportunity on your hands David......Just keep an eye on things from time to time yourself, and likely all will work out well!

Congratulations on the placement of your items!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That sound awsome and hopeful, DD. Best of luck there...and anywhere else you find to showcase your work. Let's hope you find more galleries that are that easy to work with and run as smoothly.
    I drink, therefore I am.

David,
    After viewing his turnings page, I conclude that your work will do well there. He seems to attract good artisans and also seems to do some good promotion. Congrats on being accepted and I wish you success in the new home for your turnings.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Yep, agree with Ken. Some nice work there, but not the style of your work, which will give you some uniqueness. Congrats DD.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Good luck David. It sounds like you might have arrived at a "good" place.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

David, I have remained confident that you would find yourself in good circumstances with your work. Things often work out for the best, even when they do not seem to be headed in that direction. The delMano situation, as it pertained to you, was a blessing. Had that not happened when and how it came down, you may not have sought out this gallery.

My congrats to you, though I never had any doubt!

Awesome news David! That place is amazing, i'm not sure I would ever come out if I went in there. There's some beautiful stuff there, and I agree, your turnings are unique and will stand out. Congrats!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Sounds great David, I wish you great results.

Alan

I might just have to make a trip "up North ..." great job and good luck!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Congrats David! Looks like a very nice place to display your pieces. I look forward to news of your 1st sale there!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Good luck with the gallery David! Sure is a picturesque location! When I lived in Sunnyvale, used to go to Half Moon Bay every now and then. Beautiful place and very convenient to the Bay area! Should be a lot of folks visiting that gallery and I wish you the very best with your sales!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great new David, I hope ALL your pieces find new homes soon.