Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood gloat or trouble?

Wood gloat or trouble?

Hello all,

I have a chance to score maple from a HUGE maple that was uprooted by a storm in Jacksonville , FL last week. The trunk is 6 feet or so in diameter and the main branches look to be 18+ inches. One main branch snapped when the tree fell over but the rest of the tree looks solid. The owner is willing to give me whatever I want when the arborist cuts it up. I have read somewhere storm trees should be avoided and would appreciate any opinions. Also, is a north florida maple worth harvesting? My plan is to cut some 8/4 planks and bowl blanks. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I think this would be an absolute gloat. I assume that the warning about storm trees is because of wind shake...but you should be able to tell if that is the case when it is cut up.

Maple is something I could never imagine turning down. Just make sure you have something to seal it with when its cut up.

I'm with Marty, like he said watch for the wind shake (cracks around the growth rings) and get what you can if it's like our Maple here in Ohio it turns great.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

4. Not all of the tree would be damaged by wind shake.........likely some of the limbs........that can be worked around. If you need wood, then get all you can..............maple is a great turning wood!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for the encouragement. I will harvest what I can and will likely have some extras up for fellow creekers. I will keep you posted.

Looking forward to seeing some photos!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Windshake? Wow, I learn something every day! Never thought of it but it does make sense.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ritchie View Post
    Windshake? Wow, I learn something every day! Never thought of it but it does make sense.
    Windshake separates the layers in the wood.........I was turning a black walnut bowl a couple years ago, and had chunks of the thing coming out rather than curlees...........when I really learned I had better get serious about using a faceshield........anyway, a big chunk came out, and got sucked into my dust collector......lodged itself in between the impellar and the housing, and burnt the motor out............bummer!!!

Windshake can make problems holding the wood safely if it is in the tenon area, but usually can be overcome with light cuts and slower speeds..........one has to stay alert however!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Windshake normally only applies to branches, right? If the trunk is 6' in diameter, I would think it wouldn't move at all. I'd take the whole trunk or as much of it as I could, then have a big smile on my face while gloating!

If nothing else the root flairs should have some increadible figure. The worst thing to happen is you will get lots of practice.

Would this be the cracking and creaking sound you hear in the trees during high winds?

I have a few hundred feet of oak and smaller amounts of cherry, walnut & persimon lumber in my shop; it was cut from storm damaged trees. There will be lots of good wood in most trees even after they have been blown completely over.

if you can turn the outside of hf with windshake, use duct tape, 4 to 5 inches strips, cover the outside, then hollow, wear safety equipment

I would grab all I could get my hands on especially the trunk. Wind shake can be worked around as was said. I am guessing the trunk probably would have any but have seen branchs with it. I got some maple that came thru a EF 5 tornado with no wind shake.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I love storm trees. Free wood just laying on the ground, llike a gift from the Lumber Fairy.

I have had issues with wind shake, but never in the storm-damaged trees. I was, however, able to work around it.
    Del