Thread: G0514x motor "chirping" when at full speed??

G0514x motor "chirping" when at full speed??

I recently picked up a used g0514x that I tested out with zero issues or noise. I got the machine home and noticed that sometimes it chirps when running at full speed (no load and with load). The sound is coming from the rear of the motor and I am wondering if it has anything to do with the centrifugal switch mechanism? Based on the sound I do not think that it is the fan rubbing since that is plastic and would not make a chirp.

Does this sound like anything you all have encountered before? The notice is not loud and not always present so I am looking for ideas.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    The centrifugal switch is under that housing but, should be disengaged at speed. I have a thread on correcting the chirp at slow down somewhere but, that doesn't seem to apply here. I would test with the belt off. If the chirping remains, unplug the machine and pull the covers (one outer, one inner) and take a look. The assembly is not real complex but, I do mark original posistions with a sharpie before loosening anything just to make it easier to get back to the right tension location.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-24-2012 at 9:33 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Are you sure it's the motor? Mine chirps from the bearing guides but it sounds like it's coming from the back of the machine for some reason.

I am sure it is motor and / or motor area related. I ran the machine first without the blade installed and that is when I first heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Are you sure it's the motor? Mine chirps from the bearing guides but it sounds like it's coming from the back of the machine for some reason.

Bearings? I've heard bearings make intermittent chirps at speed. I'd consider dabbing a little lightweight machine oil around the bearings, if that fixes it, schedule a warranty claim or maintenance soon (replacing bearings is no biggie).

Ryan

Sounds like a bearing issue on the motor or bottom wheel. Hard to diagnose without being in the same room as the saw though. I would pull the belt and you MAY be to isolate it to the motor, though even if it is the motor it may not "chirp" without the side load of the belt on the motor, but if it chirps without the belt it is obviously the motor.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My 0513XB2 chirps, and has since new. I too thought that it was the bearing guides, however it is more likely something to do with the brake.

The noise is defiantly in the motor area, the only thing to do now is to take the belt off and remove the lower wheel from the equation.

Does it make the noise mostly at startup? A motor pulley/belt will make a chirping sound when it rubs against a plastic housing....trust me on this one. Pull the housing off and check thoroughly for any signs of rubbing before delving deeper.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Does it make the noise mostly at startup? A motor pulley/belt will make a chirping sound when it rubs against a plastic housing....trust me on this one. Pull the housing off and check thoroughly for any signs of rubbing before delving deeper.

good luck,
    JeffD
    No. It may go 30 seconds at full speed before fading into a light chirp then fading out...strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Frontera dela Cruz View Post
    No. It may go 30 seconds at full speed before fading into a light chirp then fading out...strange.
    Sounding more like a bearing to me...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Sounds like like the plastic cooling fan slipping on the arbor. i had the same problem. Took care of it with some sheet metal as shim/bushing to tighten up the fit.

Remove the fan cover and see what things look like.

James

Here are some updates:

the noise actually happens just after the motor gets up to full speed and almost definitely is coming from the rear of the motor. The fan seems tight but I will shim it and tighten it up this weekend just to be sure.

THX

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Sounds like like the plastic cooling fan slipping on the arbor. i had the same problem. Took care of it with some sheet metal as shim/bushing to tighten up the fit.

Remove the fan cover and see what things look like.

James

With cover off and holding the lower wheel you would be able to turn the fan without the motor arbor turning.