Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dust collection: enlarging machine dust ports.

Blog Entries
    I measured 11,250 fpm on a 3.5"opening. 2 HP Oneida SDG. Using this gauge but upstream with hose removed. 14,000 does seem high, but not out of the realm of possibility.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-20-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    What does the statement for your machine indicate it emits for the various functions?
    Hi Phil, sorry it took so long to reply.

Here's the statement on dust emissions.

"The machine was tested for particle emissions according to DIN33893. The Wood Authority ascertained, according to the "Principles for Testing Particle Emissions" (workplace-related particle concentrations) of woodworking machines, that the particle emission values for this machine are notably below the currently valid atmospheric limit of 2.0mg/cubic metre. This is certified by the blue label "BG Wood Particle Tested"

The flow rates for the machine are specified as

Device Air Speed (m/s) Vacuum (Pa) Port size (mm)

Saw Cabinet 20 1824 120

Saw Guard (overhead) 20 935 50

Shaper hood 20 770 120

The shaper and saw are rated for 790 cubic metres/hour and 814 cubic metres per minute.

Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-23-2015 at 8:34 PM. Reason: Wrong units

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Phil, sorry it took so long to reply.

Here's the statement on dust emissions.

"The machine was tested for particle emissions according to DIN33893. The Wood Authority ascertained, according to the "Principles for Testing Particle Emissions" (workplace-related particle concentrations) of woodworking machines, that the particle emission values for this machine are notably below the currently valid atmospheric limit of 2.0mg/cubic metre. This is certified by the blue label "BG Wood Particle Tested"

The flow rates for the machine are specified as

Device Air Speed (m/s) Vacuum (Pa) Port size (mm)

Saw Cabinet 20 1824 120

Saw Guard (overhead) 20 935 50

Shaper hood 20 770 120

The shaper and saw are rated for 790 cubic metres/minute and 814 cubic metres per minute.

Regards, Rod.
    Interesting. So the 790 and 814, are those really cubic meters or did the manufacturer convert to CFM, or maybe those are Vacuum #'s?

In any event it is nice that they can provide those emissions values, that is neat!

Sorry Phil, those are cubic metres per hour........Rod.

Phil, how much does the average dustbin collector pull out of the total flow of a shop vac?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Phil, how much does the average dustbin collector pull out of the total flow of a shop vac?
    I'm not sure what the question is, but if you're asking how much a trash-can separator reduces total airflow, it is quite a bit. And a lot depends on how large your separator is, and how large a shop-vac you're using.

That is because the resistance is proportional to the airspeed squared. So a larger separator means a slower spin (lowering resistance), but a larger vac (more CFM typically) means a faster spin (and higher resistance). And you can't just keep using a larger separator because that reduces separation rates. And you can get to a point where larger vacs are just wasted, the separator will just eat-up any increase.

So a balancing act, for sure.

Rikon 10-306-1 dust port enlarge/refit

I have two Rikon 10" bandsaws, a 10-306 and 10-306-1. I never liked necking down to the small dust port (especially on the 306-1 that's used the most), it's way too restricted airflow and I decided to enlarge the hole, with three pleasant surprises that made it rather easy. Surprise #1: after removing the dust port adaptor I found the actual hole nearly matches the I.D. of my 3" pvc ducting. Surprise # 2: the metal blast gate fit nicely beneath the machine base as if it were meant to mount there, in perfect alignment with pvc pipe to the dust port hole. I removed two screws from the housing, used it as a template for two holes drilled in the base and mounted it semi-securely with sheet metal screws into the base. Surprise # 3: when the pvc pipe was cut to size the bottom two holes for the adaptor removed earlier lined up exactly with the pipe's 1/4" thick shoulder, allowing two small sheet metal screws to further secure it to the saw after two tiny holes were drilled into the shoulder. This tightened up the whole assembly rock solid. I suppose I could caulk around the connection inside and out but it's so close already I doubt I will....the lower wheel space hasn't a speck of dust after many cuts compared to before with the little dust port. It took about one hour. I plan to repeat this with my 10-306 but it's the older version with a welded-on dust port and will involve some difficult surgery, need to think that through first. I'm happy with the result, my DC seems as though it's happier too. Photos show the stripped-down sequence.
    Attached Images Attached Images