Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A DVD for the absolute beginner?

A DVD for the absolute beginner?

Is there an instructional DVD that is suited to the woodworker who has never ever ever turned? I'm talking real basics here.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Glen...If you want to learn to turn bowls I recommend BIll Grumbine's 1st DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy"......Richard Raffin has a series of DVDs out with a variety of projects.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken, but that's probably beyond my present skill set. I know what a head stock is. I know what a tail stock is. I know what a banjo is. A tool rest too. That's about all I know presently however. So I need the very basics. I'm currently watching some You Tube videos, but thought I'd inquire about a DVD.
    Regards,

Glen

Jet produced an excellent DVD on beginning woodturning with Nick Cook. It has been placed on youtube in segments starting here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks_SJcAyPtI

If you want to watch a YouTube on how to hold wood on a lathe you might want to watch this free hour and a half video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo
    Last edited by Mike Peace; 04-24-2012 at 3:33 PM. Reason: added another link
    God is great and life is good!

Try this one: http://coolhammers.com/Turning%20Info.htm
    The title speaks for itself.

Glen,

My favorite reference that I used when I first began turning was a book "Woodturning - A Foundation Course " by Keith Rowley. It is written for the begginning turner. Often I had it open beside the lathe for instant reference. It's listed at Amazon for $13.43 plus shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Woodturning-Fo...5294050&sr=1-1 He takes you through all forms of turning and has a list of projects that progress with your newly learned skills. He teaches you how to present the different tools and gives you the "whys".
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 04-24-2012 at 3:23 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agree with Ken, Keith Rowley's Book offers the most complete instructions for beginners and it is also available as a DVD. I used it as my mentor when I first started out. My copy of the DVD is currently on loan to a friend that is interested in learning to turning. I'd be happy to loan it to you when it is returned if you are still interested. I have his book, also, but with it selling at $13, buying is probably as cheap as postage especially if you take advantage of Amazon's free shipping offer for a $25 purchase (I'm sure you can find something of interest for the other $12).

Hey Glen,
    A simple search of basic turning would have revealed much! CSUSA, Penn state, Mike Mahoney, Richard Raffin, YoYo spin, Bill Grumbine, youtube and several dozen others have countless DVD's on turning. Maybe you'd be better off specifying something like bowls, pens, spindles...whatever. Feel free to search the web and then maybe you can be more specific.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Check out Mike Darlow Dvd's...he has basic turning..........Spindles, taming the skew, bowls, sharpening.

I bought Bill Grumbine's video when the only thing that I had turned was a bad pen, and that, using a scraper. Coming out of watching the video several times, I turned a reasonable facsimile of a bowl.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Glen, Is there a turning club close to where you live? That would be a great idea for you if there is. That would take the mystery out if it in a hurry!

I have to agree with Ken F. My first turning book and DVD was Keith Rawley's Woodturning-A Foundation Course. It is great for a starter.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

you may want to check out the series of videos, at all levels, found at http://woodturningvideos.weebly.com/

There are several turning clubs in your area and finding a club with mentors and seeing some of the demos is a great way to learn about turning. The clubs often will have a library with many different books and dvds available. That will help you also determine more of your interest and help make decisions about lathe and tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Hey Glen,
    A simple search of basic turning would have revealed much! CSUSA, Penn state, Mike Mahoney, Richard Raffin, YoYo spin, Bill Grumbine, youtube and several dozen others have countless DVD's on turning. Maybe you'd be better off specifying something like bowls, pens, spindles...whatever. Feel free to search the web and then maybe you can be more specific.
    Thanks Jim. Perhaps you noticed that I had already mentioned that I had come across some You Tube videos and was watching those. Yes, I have, and will continue to search the web.

I'm not sure how much more specific I can be at this point. The phrase, "You don't know what you don't know" comes to mind here. I am fairly well versed in flatwork, not so much in round work. However, for a complete noob in the world of flatwork, there is no sense in asking him if he is interested in hand cutting dovetails until he knows how to predictably mill up a board. How to get it flat. How to get it square. He would be best served learning what a jointer does. What a planer does. The difference between a bandsaw and a table saw. He will need this knowledge regardless if he wants to make contemporary furniture, jewelry boxes or a Maloof rocker. This is where I am at in the world of turning. Thus the use of the phrase "absolute beginner" in the title for this thread.

I will continue to scour the web for material and thanks to many constructive posts here, I have some DVD's to consider as well.

Thanks guys.
    Regards,

Glen