Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a school

1. I have no contribution to offer to this thread, but I would like to thank the OP for his service to our country. Best of luck in finding the program you're looking for!

Thanks Will

Beyond those that have already been mentioned there are some great programs in the more traditional college vein...you might look into Rochester Institute of Technology, Northern Michigan University, Rhode Island School of Design, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology (Steve Latta runs it, may require residency), Buck County Community College, Tenn Technological Univ (home of Appalachian Center for Craft).

North Bennett St is the real deal. I took a 10 week course (Saturdays) this winter and it was great and hope to take more. The classes are small ~10-12 students so not everyone gets in. One of the drawbacks is its expensive and you will need some place to live for the 18 months. The full time program is M-F from 8:30 to 3pm with July and August off. You need to make a chair, case piece, tool chest and something else I think (going from memory). The great part is its all woodworking all the time.

If you want to check out the school you might want to take one of the 10 day programs. They offer the same program I took below over 10 straight days so it may be worth signing up, renting a hotel room for 2 weeks and take the course. You'll then have a chance to talk to the staff and see what the school is about and decide if the full time program is worth it.

The 10 week course I took was sharpening, chisel work, hand planing, mortise and tenon and dovetails all using hand tools. I can finally sharpen, use a plane, make a dovetail and use a chisel correctly. The price was very good also (1150.00 for the 10 weeks) espcially when you pay 90 bucks for 3 hrs at Woodcraft.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Don

http://woodtreks.com/category/features/eric-matson/

One of the posters mentioned Eric M..

If you like Italian food Bostons North End has some of the best. But $$$.

James

You'll come out money ahead, if you go work for a single fine furniture maker on your own dime.

Living in Boston is expensive. The first thing they tell the incoming NBSS class is that only the locksmiths and restoration carpenters make any money.
    This field is to millenials as fine cooking was to the baby boomers - over subscribed.

If you insist on working with your hands, in wood, you must specialize.
    Window makers are in demand, and their skill set is the equal of interior furniture makers.

That, and people actually see their work.

I have a very different opinion of the NBSS - while they stress fidelity to original methods, I felt it fussy and impractical.
    It's also hideously expensive.

Have a look at The University of Rio Grande, in Ohio for a genuine alternative.

Drop Brian Boggs a line at the Boggs Collective in Asheville, NC.
    He's one of the few Big Dogs actively making a living.
    That would be my first choice - and you might even get paid along the way.

You'll note that he runs LOTS of classes to supplement his income.

A little further afield, Vermont woodworking school. I believe they are also affiliated with nearby Burlington college (which has a population of good looking women - or so I've heard).
    I had a very good experience there, and see a notable progression of skills in the student body.

It's a reasonably priced area to live, too.

Lastly, I would say that the only thing you'll not get more of is time. Spend it wisely.

jim
    wpt, ma

had you consider the schools that are in Tennessee, Berea college in Kentucky also teach the crafts

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/abouttommy.php

Tommy MacDonald started his career as a carpenter, but a shoulder injury made it impossible to continue in that profession. Eventually he turned to the North Bennett School in Boston to sharpen his existing skills and to learn new ones. He is not known as a "designer" but he did find a way to capitalize on his skills. The story of his success is well known. Perhaps he would be willing to talk to you if you contacted him through his website.

A personal note; Only you know your skill set. Only you know what you want/need at this stage of your life. I hope you achieve your goals; follow your own heart. It will lead you well.

I visited the Appalachian Center for Craft today in Smithville Tn. It is part of Tennessee Tech. Very nice place, secluded, and it is a college program that offers a non degree woodworking curriculum. I am going to see if my credits from Memphis State degree have enough applicable transfer credits to complete the BFA program in 2 years. Does anyone know anything about this particular program that they could share.
    I also talked to the folks at Univ of Rio Grande. I may try to take a trip up there next week.

Greg...sent you a pm.
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

If you do get a chance to visit Rio, be sure to visit the bob evans farm! its about the only thing within 10 mileage of the school...

Chris

12. Good for you man, I have been researching this a lot myself but having a hard time getting there. I have been accepted to North Bennett but with the economy and everything i cannot sell my house in Colorado (i am willing to lose 40K on it but still no bite - any takers?? It has a shop!!)) so i cannot attend yet. I am from Boston originally as well and visited the school for the interview part of the application and it was great everything i hear about it is awesome. I would also recommend another just 30 minutes north in Beverly Called the "Furniture Institute of Massachusetts run by Phil Lowe. Phil used to be the department head at the North Bennett and then left to open his own school and he is amazing as well. I got to visit him and his school as well and was very impressed. I am trying doing it for the same reason at 44. Be careful of the community college setting (not all but some), i tried here at one that is supposed to be one of the better and was very disappointed. I would travel each way an 1:30 (with class going from 6-10 with 150 students average each night) they would instruct for 45 minutes at most and then you had to wait for machines, i have a shop at home so i would leave and just work at home until the next 45min lecture. Again not all are like this but be aware. NC has several well renowned schools as well. Good luck,
    PS: I am very jealous on your situation. If you have any question i would more than happy to tell you my experiences visiting.

13. Good for you man, I have been researching this a lot myself but having a hard time getting there. I have been accepted to North Bennett but with the economy and everything i cannot sell my house in Colorado (i am willing to lose 40K on it but still no bite - any takers?? It has a shop!!)) so i cannot attend yet. I am from Boston originally as well and visited the school for the interview part of the application and it was great everything i hear about it is awesome. I would also recommend another just 30 minutes north in Beverly Called the "Furniture Institute of Massachusetts run by Phil Lowe. Phil used to be the department head at the North Bennett and then left to open his own school and he is amazing as well. I got to visit him and his school as well and was very impressed. I am trying doing it for the same reason at 44. Be careful of the community college setting (not all but some), i tried here at one that is supposed to be one of the better and was very disappointed. I would travel each way an 1:30 (with class going from 6-10 with 150 students average each night) they would instruct for 45 minutes at most and then you had to wait for machines, i have a shop at home so i would leave and just work at home until the next 45min lecture. Again not all are like this but be aware. NC has several well renowned schools as well. Good luck,
    PS: I am very jealous on your situation. If you have any question i would more than happy to tell you my experiences visiting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If all you can offer is craftsmanship, you'll starve. Too many people are good craftsmen. Too few people are artist.

Mike
    +1. Work in a studio, not in a shop. Anyway, I would recommend the Rhode Island School of Design as a place that emphasizes the art side of WWing.

I went to Rosewood Studio in Canada, took the six week course, excellent and really wanted to take the nine month program. When I got married in '06 my husband and I went to Maine for our honeymoon, visited the "Center for Furniture Craftsmanship" and met Peter Korn, great school and facilities. The only problem with the "Center for Furniture Craftsmanship" is they are right down the rode from Lie-nielsen ToolWorks, hugh cash drain!!! Both schools are great, Ron Barter owns Rosewood and I would personally pick his school, the extra costs at the "Center" for tools and seafood would just kill me. Here is the link to RoseWood. http://www.rosewoodstudio.com/ Hope this is OK with the TOS.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.