Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a school

Looking for a school

Hello all,
    I am at a point in my life where it is time for a change. I am looking to go to school to reinvent myself and develop my skills as a woodworker. I have worked in and owned a cabinet shop but I am looking for the fine woodworking skills I have yet to acquire. I plan to use my GI bill benefits so I am not looking for workshops. I am willing to devote up to two years and the location is not that important but I would like to stay east of the Mississipi. The schools I am researhing are Center for Furniture craftsmanship, Apalachian center for craft and North Bennet. I have been able to find information on North bennett and some on the Center for Furniture craftsmanship but none on the Appalachian center for craft. If anyone could provide me with some additional information on these programs or other programs I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Greg

I can't give you any advice on schools but I will give you some advice on building furniture for a living. Very few people make a decent living making furniture. The reason is that commercial furniture is very good (suitable for what people need). The only time people commission furniture is when they want something very specific - something that can't be found in the furniture store, or if you're not really a furniture maker but an artist (or designer). That is, you design furniture that's "new" and interesting, and you get the right amount of recognition from critics and collectors.

Sam Maloof, for example, was not famous because he was a great craftsman but because he designed furniture that was different but appealing to a large group of people, including collectors and furniture critics. Quite a bit of the building of his rockers, for example, was done by his employees - who were very good craftsmen - but Sam signed the rocker and that made it valuable. A rocker produced by those same employees today, without Sam's signature, will be worth quite a bit less than the earlier rockers. People were not paying for a piece of furniture, but for a piece of art.

If all you can offer is craftsmanship, you'll starve. Too many people are good craftsmen. Too few people are artist.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike - I don't know you and mean no offense, but when a man comes on here asking for information about pursuing a dream, why do you feel you need to give him a speech about the realities of being a furniture maker? I would assume that he has put some thought in this and has considered both sides of the coin. Furthermore, perhaps this is the kind of guy who would rather come to the end of his life saying 'I tried'.

OP, I attended http://www.rio.edu/finewoodworking/ It is a good program and several students work has been recognized nationally. The program certainly doesn't have the prestige of some of the programs you have mentioned, but like a lot of things, sometimes a name is over rated. Typically the first project is a standard shaker table. It allows the instructors to evaluate your skills and allows you to familiarize yourself with the tools they have. From there, you can design and work on anything you choose. The focus is certainly on reproduction but I'd imagine if you wanna build Malof rockers you wont be refused. In any case, give them a call and talk to Eric Matson. He's a good guy and can answer any questions you may have.

Chris

If I were a woodworker in Tennessee, I'd be trying to get a job at the Gibson guitar factory. Personally, consider furniture making a hobby. Me, I spent my years working in construction, had my own company for 25 years, and owned a share in a cabinet shop. Fortunately, one of the partners had spent his entire years in cabinet work, and I learned a lot from him. Went to college and majored in Industrial Arts, learned a lot more working in the field. When in college, took every course they offered in woodworking.

Blog Entries
    Not in my dream, but if it was: College of the redwoods, ft Bragg, CA
    or maybe evn Rhode Island School of Design

I was watching one of the Wood Whisperer's videos and he talked about pretty much invading David Marks and talking his way into what amounts to an apprenticeship. Pretty sure he took care of his own room and board and didn't get paid, but I would think that kind of experience is much more dense than anything you would get in a classroom... Not saying to show up on David's doorstep, but if there is someone you can cultivate a relationship with that has the skills...
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 04-25-2012 at 9:57 AM. Reason: typo

Mike,
    There are a lot of starving artist also I appreciate your input but I am looking for woodworking schools. Never did I mention in my post that I planned to do this for a living. I know the realities of the business. I am doing this for myself. I am Retired Navy and my bills are paid through my retirement. This is for me.... Please if anyone can provide input about the schools I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I can't give you any advice on schools but I will give you some advice on building furniture for a living. Very few people make a decent living making furniture. The reason is that commercial furniture is very good (suitable for what people need). The only time people commission furniture is when they want something very specific - something that can't be found in the furniture store, or if you're not really a furniture maker but an artist (or designer). That is, you design furniture that's "new" and interesting, and you get the right amount of recognition from critics and collectors.

Sam Maloof, for example, was not famous because he was a great craftsman but because he designed furniture that was different but appealing to a large group of people, including collectors and furniture critics. Quite a bit of the building of his rockers, for example, was done by his employees - who were very good craftsmen - but Sam signed the rocker and that made it valuable. A rocker produced by those same employees today, without Sam's signature, will be worth quite a bit less than the earlier rockers. People were not paying for a piece of furniture, but for a piece of art.

If all you can offer is craftsmanship, you'll starve. Too many people are good craftsmen. Too few people are artist.

Mike

Chris,
    Thanks for the information. I will give him a call today.

The North Bennet Street School in Boston is well regarded and renowned for its fine woodworking programs. It offers an associates degree and is accredited. http://www.nbss.edu/

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Spencer View Post
    The North Bennet Street School in Boston is well regarded and renowned for its fine woodworking programs. It offers an associates degree and is accredited. http://www.nbss.edu/

The drawback is you come out speaking like Tommy Mac <eg>

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hedges View Post
    Mike - I don't know you and mean no offense, but when a man comes on here asking for information about pursuing a dream, why do you feel you need to give him a speech about the realities of being a furniture maker? I would assume that he has put some thought in this and has considered both sides of the coin. Furthermore, perhaps this is the kind of guy who would rather come to the end of his life saying 'I tried'.
    Chris
    I know a number of people who tried to make a living building furniture. All of them eventually gave it up and went on to other things (some after accumulating a mound of debt). One is a now woodworking teacher, another works in a woodworking shop (cabinets), others have gone on to other professions.

Someone who wants to follow their dreams should do so, but they should do so with their eyes open. We would do them a disservice if we didn't mention the difficulties.

Mike

[And if they've already researched the field, giving them superfluous information will not harm them.]

[There's an old saying in woodworking: "Furniture makers win awards. Cabinet makers (kitchen cabinets) make money.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-25-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

No specific recommendations, but Fine Woodworking maintains a list of woodworking schools around the world:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill....aspx?id=28165

The Center for Furniture Craftsmanship 9 month program will give you an excellent background in all types of furniture making techniques while allowing you freedom to follow the designs of your choice. North Bennett St grads have excellent training in recreating colonial styles. College of the Redwoods is a California Community College that is highly selective and many of their grads have gone on to have great careers. I'd suggest that you visit the schools and talk to the administrators and students to get a feel for what each offers. If you are going to invest 9 months to two years you need to make an informed decision as to which is best for you.

North Bennett may be a good fit for you. From what I understand they tend to have quite a few students that are in a similar life situation as the one you describe. I think it can help to have peers to relate to when going back to school. I don't know about the other schools, but something that may be worth inquiring about.

I went back to school for a couple years and though I was only about 8 years older than the average student, it was noticeable. I found I enjoyed the classes where there were a few others of similar age. May not make a difference for you, but thought I'd throw it out there FWIW.

good luck,
    JeffD

If you want to travel to Maine the Center For Furniture Craftsmanship is a great school....I took the 12 week course & they offer a 9 month one also...