Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Recommendation (Bosch MRC23 or Festool)

Router Recommendation (Bosch MRC23 or Festool)

I'm weighing a new Router decision. I currently have an older Bosch 16XX plunge router, that while I understand it has certain challenges and is no longer made, has served me well for 15+ years, and a Dewalt 3 horse plunge router in a router table that I never remove. That too serves me well.

I'm looking at a combination kit router, and really like the Bosch MRC with the innovative exchangeable bases and trigger mechanism on the handle. That said, they aren't widely available and there isn't a whole lot of feedback on them. All in all, it looks like the price of the Bosch with dust collection, template adapter, templates, will be around $350 (and it's tough to find all of that at one place). The Festool 1400 router is great, I've used it, and know that it and their adapters/templates/etc. will work well, but costs nearly 2X. While I plan on woodworking the rest of my life (I'm only 43, so lord willing I've got a future), so the dollar cost average will work out either way (just "pennies per day"), it really comes down to value and the significant investment in my current budget.

Thoughts? Usage is general out of table routing needs (dado's, mortises, edging, etc.).

I'd really appreciate any feedback on actual use of these new Bosch Routers. Both Huey and Paolini have given them good reviews in PopWood and FineWood, respectively. That said, I bet when either of those guys reach for a router it's Festool......

Thanks in advance.

You see a lot of the Festool routers in woodworking videos and TV shows, but I think I've seen one used model for sale here and none anywhere else. Saws and sanders popup, but not the routers. May be due to lower sale of the routers compared to the other tools, but I suspect once you pony up the cash then you never go back...

I don't have any experience with the Bosch, but I've had the Festool 1400 in my shop for a few years now and its my go to router for hand held operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    I don't have any experience with the Bosch, but I've had the Festool 1400 in my shop for a few years now and its my go to router for hand held operations.
    I have the same router and I prefer my Bosch 1617 (I know, a different model than you are looking at). I find it difficult to adjust the Festool (it sticks when I move it up and down), so I have typically pulled my Bosch 1617 from the router lift when I want a plunge router.

I have the 1400 and I have nothing at all bad to say about it. It's a very, very well made, well thought out machine. Using it will the track I have for the TS55 is an added, big bonus. I have a few other routers, both bigger and smaller, but the 1400 gets the vast majority of the handheld use.

I always think that I am buying into a system when I buy Festool. An expensive system, no doubt, but the dust collection is great on the router (especially when used with their DC), the track integrates, the containers attach together, etc...

Yes I've drunk the green Kool-Aid, but so be it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a 1617 Bosch with both fixed and plunge bases. I think it is a wonderful router. I have used the Festool router, and think it is nice, but personally cannot justify the price for the base machine and the wonderful but bespoke gizmos/accessories that are available.

That being said, the Festool track system and some of the accessories are amazing. The track system can be used with both the router and the plunge saw (which I feel is in a class by itself). So if money not the concern, and the accessories are attractive to you, Festool might be the route to take. If money is not a concern, you could get both . . ..

I have the Festool 1400 and love it. The "System" is what sold me, running it on ts55 track, dust collection etc. Like you said you will have it for a very long time so the initial cost hurts but over time the ease of use and reliability will win out I believe.

I have owned a PC 7518 (still in my table) Ridgid, Dewalt and Triton. I wish I had "saved" the money and bought the 1400 first.

I too have drank the Kool-aid

before you buy find out how often they recommend you service the router, and what that costs, so you can take that into consideration.

For example, The manual for my PC 892 recommends sending it in for maintenance every 100 hours. Most likely to look at the motor brushes and bearings, as they both take a lot of abuse at high rpm.
    -Dan

I like the switch on the handle of the new Bosch the only problem I have with it is the fact that you can not put that router in a lift of any type that is out there now.
    You can still get the kit with the 1617 for around $200, I have 2 1617 and they both are great routers have given me little if any problems. I had to clean the dust out of the switch on one of them but that is about it.

1400 owner here also. As stated, this is a well thought out router. I'm in my mid 40's also, I own quite a few Festool tools. I dont regret adding any of them to my collection as they work well together. I dont like cleaning up after using a hand held router as there is debris everywhere, with the DC on the festool, that job is cut to a minimum. Invest once and be done with it for a long time to come.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

In my experience you can't beat Festool for consumer support, not the least being all the info and Kool Aid drinkers' advice available through the Festool Owners Group - FOG http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php That's worth a great deal in my book.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I have used the MRC23 a decent amount I have an Uncle that has two. I have used the 1400 as well, maybe a little more than the Bosch. The Festool is probably the best mid-sized plunger out there but holy cow the Bosch is REALLY well thought out. I have been deliberating routers for my new shop and I am pretty well decided on two of the MRC23 kits, I mainly just keep waiting for someone to put them on sale, just south of $300 seems to be the going price since they were introduced, the 1617 seems to still be the bread and butter and the one that gets the sales and deep discounts.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I just managed to buy a lightly used OF1400 with pretty much all the major accessories for about $200 off new. I have 0 experience operating it myself but the dust collection and rail operation alone were enough to convince me to to buy.

I own the Festool OF1400 and the Bosch MRC23. I also have a couple PC 691 D handle routers and a few other brands too. (You know you can never have too many routers). Here is how I see it. For dust collection you can't beat the Festool. The Festool is also smooth running and easily adjustable. But I don't like the handle of the Festool. The MRC23 is a great router too. I like the way it feels in my hands and the easy on/off switch. It is also pretty smooth and the bases are very easily exchanged.

For edge routing and the like probably the Festool for its excellent dust collection but for a dovetail jig there is no question either the Bosch or the PC D handle.

Another strange point on the Festool. It comes with the nice systainer to keep it in and I somehow feel obligated to keep it in its case. The other routers have a shelf they sit on out in the open. So it is much easier for me to grab the Bosch or a PC for something quick. The Festool is a process of unpacking to use it.

Do you have a Festool Vac or Fein Vac? If not then you aren't really going to utilize the Festool for what it is great at.

~Todd

There is an OF1400 used for sale right now near me for $345. Would that be considered gloat worthy and should I buy it?