Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting cocobolo w/o dust protection (scary)

cutting cocobolo w/o dust protection (scary)

Monday after work I slabbed a 3X3X12 block of cocobolo. The first half I didn't use my respirator, mask, or anything. Got quite dusty so I put on all my regalia for the second half of the block.

This picture was taken about 3:30 this morning shortly before LOML took me to the ER for some good meds. I took 50 mgm benadryl last nite at 7:30, then 50 mgm more at 11:30. Woke up at three with this glorius mug. Actually the swelling has gone down somewhat since then, but still pretty bad.

Two hundred and seventy dollars does not, now, seem all that much for a triton respirator system. Gonna order that real quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the cocobolo. I have heard there are two kinds of people; those that are allergic to cocobolo and those that will be... You obviously are one of the former.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Stop Blake, you're scaring me! I just bought my first chunk of cocobolo in years while I was in the Woodcraft store the other day. I have not ever had a reaction to it, but that doesn't mean I won't. I was turning a banksia pod for the first time ever two days ago and my arms got all red and itchy within minutes. It went in the burn pile. I would hate to have to burn a chunk of cocobolo too!

I hope you get over the reaction soon, and that it doesn't get any worse for you. I know of two local turners who ended up in the hospital because of this stuff, and there are many others, so you are not alone by a long shot.

Bill

Wow, I'm sorry that you're in such a fix Blake. I've been telling my father for some time that he better be careful with a piece of cocobolo that was brought back from a mission trip to Honduras last year. I'll have to send him this picture to enforce my warnings.

I hope you get better soon.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Cocobolo, like most rosewoods, is something that many folks are very sensitive too. (Bubinga seems to affect me, too) Some people have the same problem with black walnut!

'Glad you're ok...your quick attention to it was a good idea. And yes, do consider a ventilated mask, such as the Triton. I recently bought one and have been pleased so far.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Glad you're ok...your quick attention to it was a good idea. And yes, do consider a ventilated mask, such as the Triton. I recently bought one and have been pleased so far.

I just ordered a triton respirator from amazon. Their list price is the same as what CSUSA has, $269.99. They are offering $25 off for tools and hardware orders over $199, lo and behold the respirator comes und this category. With their list price, discount, and shipping, the bottom line was $275 and change. Saving nearly $20 over the CSUSA one.

LOML took me to the hospital at around 4:00 this morning. They shot me up with a bunch of stuff that could probably make me a very creative turner, if I could stand that long. They kept me there till about 7:00 and I left with a handfull of Rx's. The dang respirator is going to get here before I will be ready to turn

I've turned coco before, even slabbed a couple big sticks, but nothing on this scale. Since I'm not going to be able to turn for a while, I'm going to put a "funnel scoop" on the bottome of my TS and hook my little portable DC to it. I'm going to try to get a "Y" tube so I can hook up my band saw too.

Bill, don't you use the triton, or something like it? I thought that's what you wear in your video. I'll PM you later about some insturction later in the spring or early summer.

Gotta go take some drugs and read.....

Blake,

I read somewhere that if you aren't allergic to Cocobollo, you will be!

Unfortunately, you found out the hard way. I think your experience is going to sell another venilated mask for Triton. (One for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Stop Blake, you're scaring me! I just bought my first chunk of cocobolo in years while I was in the Woodcraft store the other day. I have not ever had a reaction to it, but that doesn't mean I won't. I was turning a banksia pod for the first time ever two days ago and my arms got all red and itchy within minutes. It went in the burn pile. I would hate to have to burn a chunk of cocobolo too!

I hope you get over the reaction soon, and that it doesn't get any worse for you. I know of two local turners who ended up in the hospital because of this stuff, and there are many others, so you are not alone by a long shot.

Bill
    Ditto that here, Bill, $5.95 looked irresistible for inlays or highlights. I'm not a turner, but glad I haven't tried to work it yet.

I was about to invest in a respirator anyway as I've got a bunch of scrap tropical HW given to me by Lumber Liquidators. Most of it is Tauari (Brazilian Oak) and some Jatoba, but it is all filthy. I plan to take it outside and hit it with an 80-grit on an ROS before it touches my planer.

Sorry about the reaction. I am one of those that has a reaction to Black Walnut. I wear a mask or I get a wicked headache. I guess the air helmet jus ain't a bad idea.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Uh Bill, if you discover you have developed an allergy to cocobollo, don't burn it. I am not allergic to it yet.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

Is it the inhallation of the wood dust that causes the reaction or is it contact with the skin that causes the reaction?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    Is it the inhallation of the wood dust that causes the reaction or is it contact with the skin that causes the reaction?
    Yes.

Really. It can be either or both.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the post Blake. I just started turning this year and had heard of such a thing, but had mostly written it off. Your picture sure makes it real. I hope you are doing better by now.

Ernie

Thanks for the post. I have not yet used Cocobolo, but when I do I will use proper gear. Thanks!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Well, I didn't mean to scare anybody away from cocobolo. Outstanding wood, now if anyone of you out there have been scared away from it. Send it to me and I'll pay the shipping

Yes, the triton respirator will be delivered today. I googled the respirator to find out the best price. I now CSUSA sells them for $269.99, I also fiound out that Amazon sells them for the same price, but they are offering a $25.00 discount for a limited time. I'm not sure when it expires, but it is sometime in the first week of April. I ordered one, with next day delivery, usually pretty pricey, but with the $25.00 discount my total charge was $275.99 so that means that I'm getting next day Fed-Ex delivery for about $6.oo. Can't beat it.

When mine comes, I'll test it out and give a critique. Nearly all of the reviews I've read about it have been positive.

Keep it spinning, but safely.