Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cup for Cothren

Cup for Cothren

Here is my latest piece. I made this specifically for a turning trade with Mark Cothren. He and I were paired up over on WoddturnersAmerica for a bowl swap. My "bowl" resembles more of a goblet...but technically the top portion IS a bowl form!

Myrtlewood, pierced, hand carved twist and legs, dyed and sanded back. It has a light coat of BLO for final finish.

1/16" walls on the cup portion, 3 1/4" x 6 1/2

Comments and critiques are always encouraged, thanks

piercedcup1.jpg
    and one without the "dramatic lighting"!
    piercedcup2.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott,

That is a very cool piece. I really like the legs.

Alan

Scott, beautiful form on the bowl and the piercing seems just right. I love the design on the legs/stand, and the coloring is excellent. Looks like one of the legs isn't quite even on the bottom, but it is difficult to tell from the pics. That is such a risk with four legs, but could be easily corrected here I would think.

I would say Mark is getting a really good swap! I am betting you get a beautiful natural edge bowl.

I'm impressed with your imagination and the ability to make it real. Well done!

Outstanding piece! The form and piercing is great as is the dramatic lighting. It has never occured to me to use that sor of lighting on a pierced piece, great idea.

The lighting in the picture truly helps us see the piercing..those octopus legs are very outside the box.!!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very impressive work Scott! Really nice piercing work, great coloring and I love the carved legs! Mark is going to be thrilled with this!! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nicely executed Scott. Mark is a lucky guy.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

That's a very beautiful and interesting piece! I wish I could look at a piece of wood and see something like that then make it happen! Maybe one day! Great job!

10. Well, one thing is for certain..........that one won't hold soup.............so it must be art! Very artistic, Scott. That layoff of turning must have fired up the creative juices a bit...........this is really nice. Great photography on this one as well, with the light source coming from above and through the piercings.............good stuff!

I think Mark will no doubt cherish this one, and I look forward to seeing the one he send to you. I did not get in on that bowl swap............just been too busy with other things besides turning!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks folks. I will post a couple pictures of the AWESOME natural edged bowl I received in trade, very soon.

John, until I read you post, I didn't realize that one of the legs isn't touching the background! I assure everyone that the piece DOES touch and sit level, but appearantly the photographer didn't bother to check if the piece was sitting level in the photo tent! lol
    -------
    -------

I noticed the leg, too. I thought it was done on purpose!
    Very beautiful, Scott! The lighting really adds a nice touch and shows off the piercing......
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

13. Scott, that is so different and creative, the piercing looks very nice and the legs make the piece, very artistic and well done.

Scott, I love this piece. Really beautiful in every way with so many advanced techniques that illustrate your skill.

Thanks fellas. Here is a few photos of the AWESOME bowl I received from Mark Cothren, in exchange for this piece. Least to say, it is fantastic and a classic Cothren NE bowl that I am ecstatic about adding to my small but distinguished collection of woodturnings. It is about 13" at the widest and 4" or so tall. Walnut I believe.

cothren2.jpgcothren3.jpg
    -------
    -------