Thread: Software for basic shop lan building.

Software for basic shop lan building.

I took my drawings up to my pet lumberyard the other day and the kid(still wet behind the ears) told me they couldn't do a take off from the drawing. Since I've been buildingout of there for 20 years I was surprised and disappointed. I've been bringing in elevation drawing and perspective drawings for all these years and had no problems. Is there some reasonably priced software without a long learning curve to just do basic plans?
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

What are you planning to build? I never did think the lumberyard takeoffs were accurate enough to bid a job off of. Did my own takeoffs. If it is a simple shop building, just think through the job and list the materials as if you were building the building. Did you draw your own plan? My idea was to draw the plan, and then I'd be familiar enough with the job that I'd have it figured out how to build it before starting.

I don't know if there is software without the learning curve, but here is my experience - I downloaded the free version of sketchup. At first, I was totally bamboozled, but I kept fiddling with it, and finally learned it. My next step should have been my first step. I purchased a CD from Mr. Lang, over at Popular Woodworking Magazine, and my life has not been the same since. Not only do I design ALL of my woodworking projects on it, but I was so impressed that I sprang for the pro version. It costs as much as many power tools, but has been well worth it. I have designed a 32' x 48' shop, and it can give you a count of all the components. Instant takeoff. The free version will do the same thing.
    Oh yeah, one more thing. There are many downloadable models available in the 3d warehouse, so you can get all of your tools, workbenches, etc. in scalable size, place them on the workshop floor, and move them around at will. It makes the whole process a lot more fun. Of course, there is the learning curve, but it is so worth it.
    Bees, Boards, Berries, Birds, Bamboo, and Baking - why do all my hobbies start with a "B"?!