Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My frog's frozen.....

My frog's frozen.....

I recently purchased a Stanley #8. After I got the beast home I started messing with it. I took off the blade to sharpen a bit and then I went to adjust the frog. Well the screws are frozen. I tried spraying with a bit of WD-40, but no luck. As I'm sure you can picture, access to the threads is minimal with the frog in place. I thought about cutting the heads off, removing the frog and praying for good fortune. Any other ideas? Heat? And if I cut them, where would I get replacements?

Thanks,

Hoss

Make a 50/50 mixture of ATF (auto trans fluid) and Acetone, and apply it to the screws for a couple of days, trying to turn them every couple of hours (or less if you don't have the patience). There's no good reason to cut the screws.

As a penetrant, ATF and Acetone mixed are far better than anything that comes out of a can.

You could soak the screw with David's mixture for a few days. Then,if that doesn't get the screw out,apply heat CAREFULLY to the place where the screw screws in. You don't want to ruin the Japan finish,or warp the plane from over heating it. Use a torch and heat the spot carefully.

Thank you gentlemen. Time to become a mad scientist....

On a side note I would like to thank the both of you (and many others) for all your posts, pictures, wisdom, ideas, etc. I don't post to often, but I read most everything on this forum.

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    removing the frog and praying for good fortune. Any other ideas? Heat? And if I cut them, where would I get replacements?

Thanks,

Hoss

Wait until spring?

frozen-frog.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    I recently purchased a Stanley #8. After I got the beast home I started messing with it. I took off the blade to sharpen a bit and then I went to adjust the frog. Well the screws are frozen. I tried spraying with a bit of WD-40, but no luck. As I'm sure you can picture, access to the threads is minimal with the frog in place. I thought about cutting the heads off, removing the frog and praying for good fortune. Any other ideas? Heat? And if I cut them, where would I get replacements?

Thanks,

Hoss
    Heat 'em up with a MAPP gas torch. Shouldn't take too much.

Blog Entries
    I have had success with using a solid screwdriver and tapping lightly (or not hard enough to break things) on the screwdriver with a hammer while turning the screw.

Make sure there is good support under the base if you do this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

set the whole bottom of the plane in 1/4" or so of whatever you're soaking it in. You may have to line a box with plastic. Solution can enter via mouth to area in which it's needed. Be patient - I've seen more than a few #8s with the area behind the mouth broken out and the frog pedestal exposed!

A good way to apply heat to the screws is to take your soldering gun and put the tip on the head of the screw. Keeps the heat closely concentrated and no flames to worry about.

I've used Jim's trick of tapping the screwdriver with a hammer, and sometimes it works. A weird trick is to try tightening the screw to break it loose, then backing it out; I'm not quite sure why it's easier to tighten the screw than to loosen it, but it has worked a time or two for me. The trick that has never failed for me (well, almost never) is to heat the screw with a propane torch for just a few seconds. Concentrate on the head of the screw, not on the frog. The idea is to expand the screw just enough to break it loose. Then when it cools just a bit, the screw will back out.
    Michael Ray Smith

I've used Kroil with good luck and havn't mixed up the ATF potion yet but like David said, its about the best at freeing rusted parts. Patience with these is the best option. I once soaked a part for almost two weeks with daily attempts to get it loose and finally it came loose.

Good luck.

Jeff

Sounds like a country western song, " My truck's broke, my dawg ran off and my frog's frozen......."

Oddly enough I dealt with a similar problem just last night when disassembling a very old ( circa 1902) no. 7. One screw that holds the frog to the bed was completely frozen. I dripped PB Blaster all over and around the frog and on the screw and then, being careful to align the screwdriver with the slot, I put a screwdriver in the screw and tapped it and the frog lightly with a hammer for several minutes. After no more than five minutes I was able to carefully remove the screw.

+1 for PB Blaster. Never used it on frogs, but it's a miracle worker on all sorts of stuck stuff on old cars.

+2 for PB Blaster. I haven't tried the ATF/acetone trick that David recommended, but PB Blaster is the best rust penetrant I've found so far.
    Michael Ray Smith

It's sufficiently stout..