Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derby Day Celebration Exhibit - with pics!

Derby Day Celebration Exhibit - with pics!

Each year, the Governor, in conjunction with various state agencies, hosts the Governor's Derby Celebration in Frankfort. From there, the Governor traditionally takes a train to Louisville for the Kentucky Derby, which always occurs on the first Saturday in May. Needless to say, in Kentucky, the Derby is a big deal!

The festivities include "the crowd-pleasing tradition of having Kentucky craftsmen exhibiting and selling their work." As a juried member of the KY Arts Council, I had the opportunity to submit my work for possible inclusion in the limited art exhibit. I was fortunate to be chosen as one of about a dozen artists to exhibit that morning. This is the press release on the event.
    DERBY CELBRATION.pdf

It is a relatively short exhibit of only a few hours. However, the visibility will be huge as the events are open to the public and traditionally draw thousands of folks to the grounds of the Old Capitol in downtown Frankfort. While I will have some of my work for sale, I more excited about the honor of being included!

As a prelude to the event, this past Tuesday, First Lady Jane Beshear hosted a reception in the rotunda of the Capitol building for exhibiting artists, including those three dimensional artists that presently have an exhibit on display in the Capitol. The Governor and the First Lady own a farm and residence in Clark County, my home county. During his days of practicing law, then attorney Steve Beshear frequently appeared in the courts in Clark County where I practice, and Ms. Beshear and I shared some conversation after the reception about "the good ol' days."
    RECEPTION PIC.jpg
    The First Lady is on the left and Marcheta Sparrow, Secretary of Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage is in the middle. I do clean up my attire every now and then! Normally, it would be blue jeans and a Henley shirt.

Just wanted to share my experience with the creek! I hope to get some pics of the exhibit the morning of May 5.

Congratulations! Huge visibility indeed.

Congrats John. That is a super cool deal.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Congratulations John! An honor, indeed!

Congratulations John! I can only imagine how excited you are about this...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Great photo!!! Looking forward to hearing how the exhibit goes for you! Never know what doors may open as a result! Best of luck!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congratulations! Does putting on a suit constitute suffering for your art?

8. Very special venue you have been chosen to participate in.............congratulations on all the trappings of this endeavor.......looks as if doors are opening for you my friend, and looks like that gracious demeanor is showing through as you speak with the first lady of Kentucky.

Thank you for sharing this with us!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congrats John, you deserve the recognition.

John,
    What an honor to be included and accepted. An honor well deserved too, I might add. What a catalyst for visibility also. Way too go...
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Congrats and good luck...

A well deserved honor.

Awesome news John! Congratulations! What a great opportunity, great photo as well.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

What an absolutely deserved honor John! Great photo too!

From table legs to turned art recognized within the great State of Kentucky and nationally I might add! "You have come a long way Pilgrim...".....in a very short time.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congratulations, a well deserved honor.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

What an honor, John. Congrats!