Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Apricot wood REALLY dark ?

Blog Entries
    Vernon. You might want to get in touch with the folks at Bavarian Carving Studio in South Bend In. I"ll tell why.I have been using their amonia based stain/wax mix for many years.It is manufactured in Germany for the Woodcarving industrie.It is actually a very high pigmented solution.A single coat will absolutely cover so well,it is frightening.You apply it and wait 30 min. then wipe off and then buff it.Your job is finished.If you like it darker yet,then you apply a second coat.Their choices range from white to black and Lt. to drk walnut,Lt Pear to drk pear.etc,etc The list goes on.If you have any question give me a call please. Good luck with your endeavor.Norbert Ploetz

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Hi Vern.

I have no answers to this question of dark color or long drilling. But I am fascinated by your project. I listened to a duduk on youtube - very beautiful tone and versatile sounds. Thank you for sharing your progress and your questions.

Brian
    A little bit more progress....

Drilled the fingerholes top and bottom and played it a bit. Sounds very nice! Some pictures after cutting off the waste stock and contouring, the taper on the opposite end, and the finger holes. Some others there for comparison.

Master Karen Mukayelyan on top, mine in the middle (notice small knot) and SIMON (from eBay) on the bottom. Top and bottom made in Armenia. Middle one, made by me in Allegan County U.S.A. All AMERICAN made!

What my Apricot wood blanks look like and some Duduks. Mine still needs finishing. I am thinking of using iron oxide water and Tannin to get an Ebony sort of finish. Ideas?
    Vern

I started out in life with nothing and I've managed to keep most of it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]