Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John needs to lower his cholesterol

The first couple of times I thought I was having a heart attack. Eventually I learned to deal with it on my own until I went to the doctor and got meds.
    It's ironic that I had a similar experience. I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the ER. After some tests and an overnight stay, the doctor said I had acid reflux and gave me a script for something. I took the medication and my stomach felt worse and worse as each day went by. I quit taking the stuff and my stomach started to feel better.
    Prior to taking that stuff - I wish I could recall what it was, but, it's been over 15 years since that happened - I'd have occasional heart burn.
    After that stuff though, every once in a while I'd feel like a volcano went off in my gut and throat.
    I ran across the vinegar remedy about five years ago.
    I'd eaten some of my mother in law's "molten digestive tract sloppy Joe's". I love those things, but, they really do a number on me. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying so I gulped down a swig of dill pickle juice.
    The relief was instant and 100% total.

The "pink stuff" and all the other over the counter stuff have always taken some time to kick in and do thier job. I'd always go through a good half hour where I felt like my back teeth were being eaten away by battery acid. The swig of pickle juice was like flipping a switch. One second was agony and the next instant relief.

I know it's hardly anything at all close to a credible study, but, it's worked for me.
    Any time I even think something I eat is going to give me trouble, I'll munch on a dill pickel or some peppers from a jar, or hose something down with Tobasco or Italian salad dressing - anything that has a good amount of vinegar in it.
    My MIL's "Gut bombs" are a good example.
    I noticed the times they didn't bother me were the times she also made cucumbers in vinegar.
    (She slices up cukes and puts them in a mix of vinegar. water, salt and pepper.)

I have to admit though, that, every time I feel that "lava" start to burn and I reach for something w/vinegar, I more or less expect it to be the time it won't work.
    I really don't place a lot of stock in home remedys for the most part.
    So far though, so good w/the vinegar.

Hey, here's something neat and simple I discovered yesterday morning. First, let me start by saying I'm an Italian white boy from New York, so I don't know the first thing about grits, and my apologies for in advance for offending anyone. I've been down South. I know you takes your grits very seriously...LOL.

However, I've discovered that if you take steel cut oatmeal, and cook it with a bit of salt and a touch of canola oil (really just a touch), you end up with something that tastes remarkably like grits. Okay, not really, but it's very reminiscnet of grits and I much prefer it to the sweet oatmeal everyone eats. I just don't really have much of a sweat tooth.

The other thing I discovered is if you sprinkle the steel cut oats RAW on a bit of fat free vanilla pudding, you end up with something that tastes remarkably like an oatmeal cookie. It gives a very nice texture to the pudding, too

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    The way I like to eat oatmeal is with a little salt and some dill weed. I pretend it's mashed potatoes.
    Yes! I eat lots of oats. A cheap and natural way to improve cholesterol levels. Also a tasty whole grain.

I have good cholesterol levels and I'm 60. My dad died of colon cancer when I was 35. I got into eating whole grains more then since that helps reduce colon cancer risks.

I fill up on healthy foods first, then I don't have room for junk.

I need to eat low salt (borderline high blood pressure) so that was my new challenge. Now I'm use to it and most foods I don't make taste to salty for me.

I eat oatmeal without sugar and milk. I don't want sugar in my main meal. I may have a little sugar after a meal but not a lot.

One of my main meals is oatmeal with a steamed vegetable. I toss in pepper ,olive oil, Parmesan,garlic. Sometimes toss in a non-salt spice Cajun, Mexican or Thai. Maybe black beans or an egg for protein. A big bowl of this at 9 am and I'm full till dinner.

When family and friends see me making it they think I'm crazy. Well maybe but as an eccentric old woodworker I like to invent things, even food.

When I tell them it's like tabbouleh, hummus or whole grain pasta with sauce, they get it. It would be easier to sell people on it for a lunch or dinner food. I happen to like a little spice for breakfast.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 05-01-2012 at 12:22 PM.

I am from Michigan and I love grits. I buy grits from my local grocer and fix them the way I like them with lots of butter. Don't do it too often but when I get a craving I cook up a batch.
    David B

Oatmeal for me has done the trick for cholesetrol lowering. I eat mine with honey, ground flax seed (Bobs Red Mill), craisins and almonds. Oh, and I cut up a banana into it as well.

But, I also bike commute to work 28 miles per day and so I have a feeling that exercise helps, too.

Before I started biking heavily to work 10 years ago, I used to donate blood quite a bit. That was when I learned about my high cholesterol. Oatmeal did it and physicals since show it at a normal level ever since.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Re: popcorn - I skip the salt altogether (usually) and toss on some cajun mix or curry powder. Lots of flavor.

One trick we found is that we have a rice cooker with a timer and we can put whole or cracked (usually cracked) oats into it the night before and have it play the "breakfast is ready" song right around when we're ready to go. I much prefer cracked to rolled. Add some toasted nuts and/or a bit of dried fruit and its good to go.

Also a big fan of various whole grain meals. I like to just lightly toast them in a little oil (grape seed works well, its high in good cholesterol and has a higher smoke point than olive..) and then use low salt (often homemade) stock to cook until tender. Rye, oats, triticale, etc... work well like this. Add in a bean and veggie dish and you have a complete meal.

I have recently dropped between three and eight pounds.

The difference has been notable, at my waistline.
    With my belt and pants looser, I have much less heartburn.

I can't bring myself to give up blessed alcohol, but curtailing consumption after 7pm (even if there's overtime Hockey) was a large contributor to the War effort.

My folks (up the mountain in North Carolina, almost to Tennessee) swear by the apple cider vinegar supplement.
    I think people who don't really like the taste of food go for this - it's hideous and has tremendous hangtime as an aftertaste.

Perhaps after insulting your taste buds, you just eat less of everthing else?

I recently watched a movie called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to.