Thread: Gloat Pic

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Gloat Pic

Since selling my Grizzly 24" Drum Sander I needed a smaller drum sander.

I made a trip to GIS in Nashville yesterday and picked up a Performax 10-20.

Will try to play with it later today or tomorrow and make a tool assessment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I have been looking at this model for sometime now. Due to shop space considerations, the size seems good. I am looking forward to your assessment.

John

Ken I too will be looking forward to your thoughts on this machine. I have been thinking about a Performax sander. I have been looking at the 16/32, but if the 10/20 does most jobs, I would consider it.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

ah... another new toy for the shop... lets us know how you like it.

best wishes lou

I look forward to your review as I have considered purchasing one myself. Is that a segmented bowl on the lathe in the background?
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Ken,

Here is the link to my Performax 10/20 Gloat with a picture of the hydraulic table I recommended to you last night. You won't be disappointed in the table and it is a perfect match for the sander and the Jet Mini as well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ydraulic+table

Gongratulations on the new sander, your gonna love it!

I've had my 16-32 for a few weeks now and have been satisfied with it. It seemed to take an hour or so of operation for the drum to 'settle in' and not need constant tweaking.

The only issue I've seen is the drum and conveyor don't line up quite right. If the conveyor were mounted a half inch to the right, they would align. I sent a note to the vendor and have been ignored. Next step is Performax directly or out local rep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stafford
    Is that a segmented bowl on the lathe in the background?
    Actually it is a walnut/cherry "layered" bowl.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Nice sander Ken!

Ken , I have had one for few months now. It is a little tricky
    to set up the drive belt tracking. Much like a floor model belt
    sander. The height setting is very critical when sanding because
    it will kick the breaker off and then you have to start over your peice
    you are sanding. I think it is recommended to lower drum on the peice
    and turn the drum by hand. As long as you can turn it by hand the
    setting should work ok and not kick out. I do like it for small jobs.
    Having a small shop I made this to store and use it: www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16107

Bad link see attached.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ronald DeWeese Sr.; 03-31-2005 at 12:48 PM.
    Being "over the hill" is much better than being under it!
    He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless gone.

Congrats Ken. You're even color coordinated with your Jet equipment. Nice, enjoy! Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Congrats Ken, Nice haul!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Boy I know I hate it when someone digs out an old thread thats been dead for a while, but Ken, I happen to notice that at one time you had a Grizzly 24" dual drum sander. Did you not like it or what happened? I just purchased a Shop Fox 26" sander (white Grizzly) and I think it works great. I was just wondering??

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Boy I know I hate it when someone digs out an old thread thats been dead for a while, but Ken, I happen to notice that at one time you had a Grizzly 24" dual drum sander. Did you not like it or what happened? I just purchased a Shop Fox 26" sander (white Grizzly) and I think it works great. I was just wondering??

Richard
    I had not used the 24" Grizzly for quite some time since I stopped making large pieces. Long ago I made lots of raised panel doors and solid raised panel shutters which I ran through the Griz after assembly. The Griz took up too much floor space in the shop and was not mobile. So I decided on getting a smaller sander which I could make mobile.