Thread: $10 Jackson Backsaw

$10 Jackson Backsaw

Found this little Jackson backsaw (split nuts) today and couldn't pass on it for $10. I haven't done anything to it yet. I am leary of removing the screws because it might split the wood.
    jack.jpg
    jack2.jpg
    jack3.jpg

Nice saw, Larry. I've got a 12" Jackson that looks to be about the same vintage. It has split nuts and I haven't any reason to take the handle off. I sharpened it, 3 times actually before I got it right. Now it is my go-to back saw. Hope you enjoy yours.

I've got a 12" Jackson sash saw that I paid $10 for, as well. As you stated, you need to be quite careful getting the medallion and screw(s) out without splintering the handle. Often, a fine exacto knife can be diligently used around the medallion to free it up without removing any wood. I've also "heard" that putting the saw in the freezer can dry out the handle just a little, as well as get the metal to shrink a bit. I haven't tried it myself.

Joint, sharpen, and saw! I am no historian, but I believe these were made by Disston. Mine saws just as well as my Disston saws do.

Jeff