Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shakeresque Workbench Almost Complete

Shakeresque Workbench Almost Complete

Almost done. Sort of.... I need to build the end panels for both ends of the bench, three drawers, bench dogs, and I'm having trouble with my Benchcrafted tail vise installation. The travel is smooth for about half of the distance, but seizes up a bit. It's not a hardware issue, it's an installer issue Also need to build and install the rollers for the leg vise, but it works as it is. Also need to work on my photography skills. I keep getting grainy images. Anyways, I'm impressed with Benchcrafted hardware and glad that it is designed with a little leeway when installing it, or rookies like me would never get them to work!

Oh, P.S. - Bench is 9' 1.5" long, 28.5" deep, and 32" high. Top is a hair north of 4" thick. I cut up a nylon cutting board so each leg has a red nylon pad under it. Had I not done this, I doubt I would be able to move the bench.

bench5_filtered.jpg
    Last edited by Justin Green; 04-30-2012 at 9:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Nice bench!

That is looking terrific. I am jealous of both the fancy bench you've built, and the fact that you have room for a 9 foot bench!

Lefty, I'm assuming given the vise layout? It's funny how odd something I'm used to seeing right handed looks when it's flipped.

A like to use a bit of graphite to find where things are rubbing.

Yeah, it's a lefty bench. I played with the wagon vise a bit last night, and I'm starting to think that the screw is slightly out of line with the rails. I may have to redo the end cap, grrr....

This photo is a bit better. It shows the color a little better, along with some of the misalignments on my door pulls and the gap between the two doors on the right. Funny, but the pulls that I eyeballed were level, and the ones that I measured are not. I'm thinking about selling all of my rulers and tapes. Husky worklights are not the best for photography. I eventually want to install raised panel doors, but wanted to save that project, along with the drawers, until I can use the bench to make them with all hand tools. The back of the bench is just solid pine v-groove, like the doors.

Bench1_filtered.jpg

+1 on the dry lubricant for the tail vise.

I wonder if the cantilevered section hanging past the end of the base cabinet might be twisting, under the load?
    If so, it will need a knee brace to transfer the horizontal forces to the vertical part of the frame beneath.

If you can introduce some clearance in the assembly so that their is some play above and below the rails, will travel be smoother?

It looks sharp - and is larger than my shop, in total.

jim
    wpt, ma

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Green View Post
    Oh, P.S. - Bench is 9' 1.5" long, 28.5" deep, and 32" high. Top is a hair north of 4" thick. I cut up a nylon cutting board so each leg has a red nylon pad under it. Had I not done this, I doubt I would be able to move the bench.
    Wow, very nice. And HUGE! Now, is that a workbench or an elevated bowling alley?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

It's possible that the section has some twisting, but I'm putting my money on missing the mark getting it all aligned - user error, in other words. I am going to disassemble the vise tonight and check the hole clearances again. When it seizes, the sliding plate is definitely binding in the rails, but since this only happens at the end closest to the end cap, I'm thinking there is some sort of alignment issue with the screw or rails. The cavity is about 13" long, and there is about 8" of travel that is very smooth, so it is functional, it just bugs me a bit. The rails are parallel, I re-checked them last night. The mounting plate may need to be rotated 90 degrees and re-installed so that the screw is parallel to the rails, if that is the issue.

I didn't mean graphite as a lubricant, rather as an indicator of where things are rubbing; I was thinking the wooden bits rubbing, not the rails.

I haven't looked at the benchcrafted tail vise since I decided I couldn't justify it or make it work with my short bench, but I'm wondering - can you remove the acme screw entirely, but leave the sliding section in place in it's grooves? If the sliding section moves through it's range smoothly without the screw driving it, then the problem is probably the drive screws alignment, and if it still binds somewhat, the problems probably the rails placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I didn't mean graphite as a lubricant, rather as an indicator of where things are rubbing; I was thinking the wooden bits rubbing, not the rails.

I haven't looked at the benchcrafted tail vise since I decided I couldn't justify it or make it work with my short bench, but I'm wondering - can you remove the acme screw entirely, but leave the sliding section in place in it's grooves? If the sliding section moves through it's range smoothly without the screw driving it, then the problem is probably the drive screws alignment, and if it still binds somewhat, the problems probably the rails placement.
    The plate does move freely the full length if the rails - I did check this before installing the end cap. I aligned the template and drilled for the screw hole, but it could be that the flange holes are off a bit. Since the screw has some play due to the clearance holes, I think the traveling plate may be pushing the screw over. When it binds, it does not appear that the vertical block is touching the bechtop anywhere.

How about unscrewing the flange, and trying the movement of the thing simply keeping the screw against the end of the bench with hand pressure? Might give you an idea if you could remedy things by simply adjusting the fit and remounting the flange.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    How about unscrewing the flange, and trying the movement of the thing simply keeping the screw against the end of the bench with hand pressure? Might give you an idea if you could remedy things by simply adjusting the fit and remounting the flange.
    That's a good idea. I think I will try that first tonight before I break out any more end-cap material!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    +1 on the dry lubricant for the tail vise.

I wonder if the cantilevered section hanging past the end of the base cabinet might be twisting, under the load?
    If so, it will need a knee brace to transfer the horizontal forces to the vertical part of the frame beneath.

If you can introduce some clearance in the assembly so that their is some play above and below the rails, will travel be smoother?

It looks sharp - and is larger than my shop, in total.

jim
    wpt, ma
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Wow, very nice. And HUGE! Now, is that a workbench or an elevated bowling alley?

If my wife insisted on parking in the garage, I'd be in trouble! Luckily she lets me use the garage for projects instead!

14. Wow! Superb bit of woodworking there my friend.

A great bench. I really enjoy making benches,but with my back,I may have built my last.