Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher - need a new one, anyone go through the pain?

We put in a whirlpool a year ago that we like. It is super quiet. Stainless steel interior. We also considered the KitchenAid in the same price range (probably similar to the model Jim has) - both got good reviews, and people we know with the KitchenAid like it...but we just liked the silverware basket in the Whirlpool better.

Don't underestimate the power of a good detergent - I believe CR did a report on them not long ago but you can always google for reviews and feedback.

We also looked at some Bosch units but the ones we saw did not have an automatic disposal for debris - the screens had to be cleaned manually.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Thanks All, I appreciate all the information. Certainly don't mind buying CR for the dishwasher reviews. I know a lot of us go through the same pain when buying stuff, hoping to catch some good/bad on models with real use reviews. Looks like I got a bunch, so thanks!

Bosch or Miele - sound like good thumbs up for those two. My local lowes has a guy that sells appliances and he really goes out of his way to make the sale a good one! I'm going to stop in and see what he says.

Thanks again and keep'm coming!
    Peter

I have a Kitchenaid in the basement, bought a whirlpool to replace it
    J Load

Bosch is excellent but you have to clean the screen periodically -- very minor effort. It's on the bottom of the machine and has a quarter turn latch. The one I have is very quiet and was not super pricey. The Miele was $$$$ when I looked. BTW if you're installing yourself the Bosch is tight where the connections are, unlike the GE it replaced, which was like working on an old American car. Maybe that's why it seems to hold more than the old GE!
    Last edited by Joel Goodman; 05-01-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Esh View Post
    +1 for Bosch. Going on 5 yrs, no issues. Does an excellent job and almost silent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Elliott View Post
    Bosch seems to be well spoken of
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    Bosch is excellent but you have to clean the screen periodically -- very minor effort. It's on the bottom of the machine and has a quarter turn latch.
    I'll be the dissenting opinion...

I've had a Bosch DW for around 12 years and would NEVER get another one like it. We bought it because we were sold on the water-saving features. The problem is that it does NOT have a food grinder in it. The result is that every few months I am digging in the bottom because the intake has clogged. Popcorn kernels are the worst, but corn and other bits of food can also get down there and plug the bottom inlet. Even more annoying is that somehow food bits will get past the filter and get inside the upper spinning arm and clog the outlets.

Never again. The next DW I buy WILL have a food grinder in it.

Oh yeah, another key feature to watch for on your DW is a timer for delayed start. Our city has gone to time-of-use billing on electricity, which means we now have to remember to come back and start our DW, since it does not have a timer on it.
    "It's Not About You."

If I were to buy based on CR suggestions in that price range I'd buy one of the Bosch Ascenta models.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I'll be the dissenting opinion...

I've had a Bosch DW for around 12 years and would NEVER get another one like it. We bought it because we were sold on the water-saving features. The problem is that it does NOT have a food grinder in it. The result is that every few months I am digging in the bottom because the intake has clogged. Popcorn kernels are the worst, but corn and other bits of food can also get down there and plug the bottom inlet. Even more annoying is that somehow food bits will get past the filter and get inside the upper spinning arm and clog the outlets.

Never again. The next DW I buy WILL have a food grinder in it.

Oh yeah, another key feature to watch for on your DW is a timer for delayed start. Our city has gone to time-of-use billing on electricity, which means we now have to remember to come back and start our DW, since it does not have a timer on it.
    I've had a Bosch for 12 years now and if I have a choice, I will never buy anything else again. It is far and away the best DW I have ever had. It is quiet, it is efficient, it doesn't have an exposed electric coil dryer, so you don't have to worry about melting even the most delicate plastics, and they clean better than any I've ever seen.

As for the filters and clogging. When you are loading the DW, scrape the plates before you load!

In the 12 years I've had it, I have had to unplug the screen exactly 1 (one) time. As best as I can remember, I've only pulled out and rinsed it off for maintenance 2 or 3 times besides. So it is definately not a big deal.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Another endorsement for Bosch DW's. Have had one for around 7 - 8 years with no issues.

As far as cleaning the screen, we, uh, have an environmentally friendly system in our home for pre-cleaning the dishes, which reduces the need to clean the screen.

We replaced the one we inherited with the house about 3 years ago. We got an Amana with the stainless liner. Bought it online with free delivery. Was just under 600.00 IIRC. We like it. Seems to do a decent job. LOML doesn't complain anyway. Especially when I load it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    We got a Bosch SS to replace an ISE. The Bosch was easy to install and has worked perfectly. As others have said, it is almost silent as our kitchen is open to our very reflective dining room / living room / great room. I would absolutely get another one. Scrape the food off before you load dishwasher and you'll have no trouble.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I installed a Bosch in my last house, and have a Miele in my current house. I liked them both. The Bosch was quieter, I think....somewhere around a coffee machine.

Now if we're talking washing machine, the Miele can not be beat, IMHO.

Anyhow, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

As I mentioned previously, we recently purchased a Kitchenaid (replaced our aging Fisher-Paykel setup). We first were looking only at Bosch due to the reputation, but the Kitchenaid interior was more to our liking in both capacity and configuration. We (briefly) looked at the Miele...but it was way out of budget!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got the Meile approx 6 years ago. LOVE it. Stainless interior, built in water softener (have top add salt), quiet and does great job. At first I thought the silverware tray at very top -slides out and you lay silverware horizontally - was weird, but it is one of the best features. Gonna be close or somewhat north of the 1k mark

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Gonna be close or somewhat north of the 1k mark
    Very "north"... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dishwasher

We have been in our house for 37 years and did not have a dishwasher for the first two years. We put in a Kitchen Aid and when that went south, we bought another Kitchen Aid. It is still going strong and does a good job of cleaning dishes. I don't know if their quality is as good as it has been but we have had very good success with them and they get used a lot. We have gone with the pouches of soap as well. I think we got them at Costco. My wife likes them and so do I because she was constantly overflowing the powdered detergent and using much more than necessary.