Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Co-won the feature ring contest @ segmentedwoodturners.org.

Blog Entries

Co-won the feature ring contest @ segmentedwoodturners.org.

There has been a contest going on at segmentedwoodturners for the best feature ring. The voting was going on for 2 weeks. We were within 2 votes for the longest time. In the last couple days it was a tie which is how it ended. Talk about a nail biter. I won a 1/2" Glaser Hitec bowl gouge. We all know how much I like my Glaser tools, now another one to add to the collection. I know I'll get a lot of use out of it. There we a lot of amazing feature rings, everyone of them is a winner in my book. aaaaa.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-01-2012 at 5:26 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

2. A truly fine piece of craftsmanship, Bill........congratulations on your win........I hope you will post the entire project when you get this ring installed on a vessel..........good looking stuff!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

This one is stupid crazy Bill!!! Grain change at every piece, tons of detail. Hate to see the other guys!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Bill if you had been able to finish the main ring you've been working on you would have won hands down. This is a testament to your skill, great job and congrats.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Congratulations on your win, Bill!

Amazing work, hope to get into segmented turning one day if I ever master hollowing.

An entire woodworking project, all in one ring! Amazing!! There are more cuts and joints in that ring than in all the furniture I ever built - collectively!

Bill it's apparent you are becoming the "go to" guy for all things segmenting. Congrats, super job on that one!

Tie nothin'- that's an incredible piece of craftsmanship. You have my vote.

Blog Entries
    You guys are way too kind, thanks very much. This one was really just practice for another one with a little more complexity. I haven't really decided what to do with it just yet. More good news, I finally finished the humidor I've been on so I can finally get to work on my new lathe. Pics of the humi are in woodworking projects.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I looked at that site and after my eyes got uncrossed again, I vowed that in my next lifetime I would have the patience and skill to attempt work like that. Oh, yeah... and also the vision needed to conceive of it in the first place.

Now, Bill, you are forever offering praise to others and seeming ever so humble about the work that you do. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that you don't realize how extraordinary your pieces are. I have said before that segmented work is not really my cup of tea. But that does not mean that I am incapable of recognizing artistry when I see it and your work is up there with the best. It might be the best. It would be hard to make that call because there are other segmenters who do some amazing work. But it's safe to say that you would make it into the top ten with ease.
    David DeCristoforo

Bill,
    You never cease to amaze me. Forget the skill it took to make that ring, I'm just thinking about the mind that conceived it. Everything you do is a prize winner in my opinion.
    faust

Bill,

Congratulations. That is a really nice ring. One of the members of my club got second.

Alan

Very cool, congrats Bill!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Big time Congrats Bill!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------