Thread: Festool recommendation

Festool recommendation

I just purchased Festools RO 150 and the ETS 150/3 sanders.....but I was wondering which of their sanders would work best on narrow surfaces such as face frames. I want to get smooth surfaces where grain direction changes without risking rounding over edges due to balance problems, and I wanted to find out from you guys which sander fits the bill: the 5" RO, the DS 400 or RS400 detail sanders...I have no experience with the 6" ROS so I dont know if they are too large for this purpose. I was leaning toward the DS 400 for its corner and detail capabilities....any input would be appreciated...I dont want to buy a nice tool that will just sit around! I have not received my other sanders yet.Thanks
    Last edited by timothy mckee; 03-30-2005 at 6:12 PM.

I just use the 150/3, but I suppose a smaller tool like the DS and/or LS would work for what you describe. Bob Marino would be the best chap to ask on that!

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like Jim, I use the 150/3. I actually used my Rotex for this before I bought the 150/3 and it was pretty easy to control as well. Unless you are really fanatical about the edges I think you already have what you need. Also like Jim, I think Bob could shed some extra light on any subtle advantages you might gain with another configuration.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by timothy mckee
    I just purchased Festools RO 150 and the ETS 150/3 sanders.....but I was wondering which of their sanders would work best on narrow surfaces such as face frames. I want to get smooth surfaces where grain direction changes without risking rounding over edges due to balance problems, and I wanted to find out from you guys which sander fits the bill: the 5" RO, the DS 400 or RS400 detail sanders...I have no experience with the 6" ROS so I dont know if they are too large for this purpose. I was leaning toward the DS 400 for its corner and detail capabilities....any input would be appreciated...I dont want to buy a nice tool that will just sit around! I have not received my other sanders yet.Thanks
    Tim,

I don't think the 6' sanders, particularly the ETS 150/3, are too large or unweildly for face frames. Getting into corners is another issue and that's where the 400 sanders are better suited than either the 5" or 6" ros's.
    The DS 400 and RS 400 are identical orbital sanders, with the same specs; only difference is their pad shape. They are lightweight, good on vertical surfaces, with the DS better at getting in the corners. The ES 125 is their 5" palm ros, which is also nice for your applications. All will leave a smooth surface, if proper sanding technique is followed.
    I happen to think Festool's ETS 150 (6") ros's are their smoothest, lowest vibration sanders. I would suggest getting familiar with the 2 sanders you are getting and then see if you need another sander for the corners or smaller surfaces.

Bob
    bob m

What a great resource this is. I am trying to save money by ordering my Festool products to get the discounts, and this type of information helps to narrow down my selection of tools. The DS 400 EQ seems like a great tool, but thanks to your input, I'll put my money towards the plunge saw, guides, and MFT table first. But like all tool sharks, I'll be circling back later for the sander. Thanks again.

Smile

I could be wrong here, but couldn't you use one of the harder sub bases/pads for the 150 to give you a little more stability. Plus it won't tend to conform to the edges of your work like the softer pads do.....

Like I say, I could be (and most probably am) wrong....

Cheers

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Auchterlonie
    I could be wrong here, but couldn't you use one of the harder sub bases/pads for the 150 to give you a little more stability. Plus it won't tend to conform to the edges of your work like the softer pads do.....

Like I say, I could be (and most probably am) wrong....

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

You are correct!! The standard pad is soft and you can also buy the pads in a "hard" version which will provide a flatter surface.

Bob
    bob m

If I remember correctly, I think those are carried at the Austin Hardwood in Santa Ana, Calif. ....I'll pick one up and try it...thanks