Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My latest humidor. Koa & Tropical Walnut.

Blog Entries
    Again, I thank you my friends. Tropical Walnut is a much darker color & very uniform grain. It's the name the sell it under at Woodworkers Source. A pleasure to work with for sure.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have the strange feeling that 100 years from now, you'll see a Bill Wyko humidor in some museum or selling for a ridiculous amount at auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Baldwin View Post
    Lately when I see one of your humidors, I see a scene in my head from Antiques Roadshow circa 2112. An appraiser is eying with envy a humidor that an older gentleman has brought in. He asks the owner, "Did you know that he made a living installing stereos in cars?" The owner has a surprised/skeptical look and says "Really?! You're joking." Appraiser, "Not at all. Of course many of these stereos were in show quality cars and you might have had a hard time even recognizing them as stereos if you didn't hear the music coming from them. He made these humidors in his spare time. It was his attention to detail that makes him stand out in both avocations." Owner, "Well all I know is that this humidor has been in my family for a hundred years and it will stay in it as long as I'm alive. Hopefully for a long time after that."
    whoa, who whoa,...you can't just leave it at that,....you have to give an estimated price it would fetch at auction.

I had replied to this thread this afternoon, not sure what happened. Anyway more than happy to reply again. I'm a big fan of your work Bill. I'm always delighted to see your new projects. I can only imagine the time and care that goes into each one. I agree with the others, work of this level will only continue to raise in value as time goes on. I have some Koa that I have stashed away for over 20 years waiting for the right projects, some highly figured some not so much. It's way past time that I use it wisely.
    Retired and Lovin it

Blog Entries
    Randy, it'll only get more beautiful if you make something out of it. The guy I built this for had been saving it for 7 years. I'm honored to have been the one to make him something with it. I had to just sit and stare at it for quite some time. It's hard to tell but the lid is book matched too.

6. Wow! another stunner... I just can't wrap my head around both the quality of your work and of your finishes. Thanks again and I hope to meet up with you again soon. Having seen it, I must say that your work is even more impressive in person.

Lawrence
    Last edited by Lawrence Richards; 05-04-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Just beautiful - and all the other superlatives already mentioned........ what can one really say, except repeating what has already been said...

However - I cannot recall if I asked you before, or I just discovered one of your threads, but I surely remember a thread where you described how to make those 'multi-piece corner sections' - (or what ever I should call them) - but for the best of me I cannot find it ?

Blog Entries
    What a beautiful piece. Always a pleasure to see a new offering from you Bill.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Lawrence, any time my friend, I'm here at the shop most of the time. just give me a shout on the shop number.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I tried to PM you, Bill, and your mailbox is full. I hope you're still around!! I, myself, am so busy I seem to only make it around once or twice a year!!

Anyway - I've told you this before I'm sure: YOU DO SOME AMAZING WORK!! LOVE your humidors!

And thus, I've been studying your designs for a long time now - as well as Ed Salee's... I made a box a couple years ago from stuff I learned from all you box makers here on the Creek! It hasn't fallen apart, so I must have done it right!

So... I'm having to RE-STUDY as I'm now going to make a box for my sister (she lost her baby and I have the honor to make her a keepsake box (some of you may have seen my call-out to laser engravers)) and in my mind I see a couple ideas...

My questions are about your box bottoms. I see that you seem to have a whole solid board UNDER the box sides, with the routed edges? How do you attach the bottom to the bottom? Is it just glue, biscuits, dowels, what? Is it a whole board? If so, is there ever fear of it warping?

Feel free to point me to a thread where you may have previously discussed this with someone... or anyone else's discussions... the more ideas the better! Of course, anyone else who has this answer may chime in as well.

Thanks in advance!!

I searched more... and maybe it is NOT all one piece/board... I found some pictures that gave me more insite and I noticed there was no endgrain showing... I'm guessing, then, that the bottom may infact be constructed like a reverse top?? I'd love to see the bottom of one these!

I also like Ed Sallee's box here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Ebony-Humidor
    I think I'm going to borrow some of that idea, with the legs!