Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw upgrade.

Table saw upgrade.

I’m going to retire my old green Jet contractors saw this summer.
    I looked at the various “hybrids”, and cabinet saws. I think I’ll pay the little bit extra, and get a 3HP cabinet saw.
    Being an old retired guy on a limited budget, Powermatic, Uni-saw, and Saw-stop are out of my price range.
    I thought about getting used. But I’d like to have a “riving knife”, and also not have to mess with refurbishing a used saw.
    I’ve kinda decided on a Grizzly. Either a G 1023, or the G 0690.
    I would appreciate some help deciding between the two.
    I notice the 1023 is made in Taiwan, while the 0690 is made in China.
    The 1023 is driven by a poly v serpentine belt, the 0690 has a triple v-belt drive.
    I’m leaning towards the 1023, due to being made in Taiwan, and the Shop Fox fence.
    I hope for help making my decision.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Jim,
    There are a ton of threads on the subject about 2 years ago. I have the 1023RL and love it so I will be biased. Both saws are well liked. A couple more differences are:

690:
    Asian made Leeson motor
    No dust shroud.
    Newer fence that I hear glides really smooth but is prone to come with warped faces.
    Old Delta Unisaw/ old G1023SL trunion design with a retrofitted riving knife

1023:
    No name Asian motor
    Dust shroud
    Shop Fox classic fence with the terrible magnified curser.
    Newly designed trunnion with riving knife

A search for G1023RL, G0690, or my name will bring up hours of reading along with my review.

Cary

Jim,

I've had the 1023 for about 10 years. It's been a great machine. I did replace one side of the Shop Fox fence with a shop made laminated face. That saw is the centerpiece of the shop. It gets used more than any other tool. No regrets.

Mark

The 1023 often gets good reviews. I have the Shop Fox on my G0444Z and am well pleased. You can spend a bunch more, but this combo will serve you very well.
    As always, set up is the driver for good performance.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Delta still sells the UniGuard overhead blade guard that comes with a riving knife that fits many of the saws. I have an older Bridgewood cabinet saw and put the knife and guard on it and really like them. You may be able to purchase just the riving knife from Delta.

I bought a 1023Z in 2000 from Grizzly (3 hp). It still has the original 3 belts on it and an Incra fence. It has been flawless. I don't think there is a better bang for your buck out there in terms of cabinet table saws. I have dreams of ponying up for a PM2k or even a SS but the 1023Z hasn't really given me a good reason to do that.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Okay, I'm going to be bold here, and suggest you also consider, in that price range $1300, you look at a Steel City 35618. I've had one for about 8 years, more or less, and it is a great saw. I bought it when SC was fairly new, and was started by some x-Delta guys. I don't know what they have been doing since so can't say much, but I am very happy with my saw.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 05-03-2012 at 7:49 PM.
    "We the People ........"

The G1023RL and G0690 are both well proven values in this class of saw. I wouldn't hesitate about either one of them. If it were my decision I'd likely lean toward the 1023 for the updated drive system and improved DC....the few dollars saved is always nice too, and can be put toward a nice blade. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

“Delta still sells the UniGuard overhead blade guard that comes with a riving knife that fits many of the saws.” -- Peter Kuhlman

I ’dunno’ about a riving knife on the Uni-guard. From the Delta web site:

“Fixed splitter maintains correct alignment with saw blade at all times; tilts with saw arbor for angle cutting”

Read all ‘bout it:
    http://www.cpodeltamachinery.com/del...efault,pd.html

More differences to add to the list. 1023R series is a 4" dust port on the back of the saw, built into the cabinet. Splits internally for the cabinet and the shroud. 690/1 have a removable door on the right side of the saw. Comes factory for 4" hookup, but was a breeze to enlarge and retrofit to 6". 25.00 part puts it back stock as the cabinet doesn't get modified. I've got the 691, and I helped a fellow Creeker put together his 1023R saw. Both are well made and will do anything you need a saw to do. Just look through the lists of features, and go with the one that has the most pluses for you. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Okay, I'm going to be bold here, and suggest you also consider, in that price range $1300, you look at a Steel City 35618. I've had one for about 8 years, more or less, and it is a great saw. I bought it when SC was fairly new, and was started by some x-Delta guys. I don't know what they have been doing since so can't say much, but I am very happy with my saw.

+1 I have had a SC for a few years. Bought it in the 1300 price range, it has been a solid saw, has a riving knife and is very well built. I went with the cast top for magnetic jigs I have. The fence is very good (Bies clone I believe), dust collection works well enough. I have no regrets and am extremely happy with my saw too.

Another Steel City user here.
    Nice saws.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have had the G1023SL, which I had to sell due to moving, and now the G0690, and love both. The fences were great when adjusted properly with none of the problems mentioned above. I don't see the G0444 listed anymore, but it was a good saw too. I would suggest buying a used one, but my newer 0690 with the riving knife is a very nice feature, which makes an obvious difference in many cutting situations. Do buy a good blade.

I know you stated that you didn't want to mess with an old saw, but at least consider this.

I turned this 1964 Powermatic 72

Into this for less than $1000 including new arbor and motor bearings, a fully precision ground cast iron top, and a new Forrest 12" blade.

Table saws are pretty easy to restore, mechanically, and the older saws are sooooooooo much better made than anything you can buy today for under $10K.

I see old Unisaws and Powermatic 66's for under $500 all the time.

Food for thought,

Jeff

Here is a thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r+12.8A+vs+18A part way down I list the paper differences, the current draw on the new 1023 went down when it was actually introduced so apparently they changed to a more efficient motor.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.