Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power usage

power usage

I rent a shop space that is run off of one 20 amp breaker. All my tools are small 120v, the table saw I know uses the most power but is also the least used. The most used are the rikon midi, the bench top belt sander and the two T-8 fluerecent lights. Somehow the electric bill came with an additional $100 this month. I spend maybe 8 hrs a week in my shop and never have two tools running at once. Does this seem alittle high or is it possible.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like someone was guesstimating the meter for a month or two and then finally caught up(?). I've had that experience in the past when I lived in the boonies. I run my TS, jointer planer, DP's, sanders cyclone, etc. nearly every day PLUS my house and my electric the last 3 months has been about $65, $88, and $81. I'm sure the "regular" cost of electricity varies by region but, I'd have to kick on the A/C for several days per week to get near $100.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Are you renting space from a commercial establishment? If so, are they on a "peak KW demand" meter rather than a residential KW usage meter. Some commercial establishments are billed by "peak KW load" which is then extrapolated into a monthly bill assuming that your peak usage is your constant usage. Applying this to your situation, is it possible that you were using your table saw at the same time that your commercial landlord was at his normal peak usage? His peak plus your peak could result in a much higher bill.

space is not comm. bur residential. Also the breaker for my shop is on box but the lanlord says he pays for that breaker. Woodworking is my hobby not my job, so no tools are running all day maybe 6 hrs a week. Something is wrong and I am paying for it, just can't seem to figure this one out.

Well, if it's all just a single 120v 20A breaker you pay for, the most power you could get from it would be 120V*20A= 2400W. 6 hours per week of that is, max, 14.4kWh. In one month, you'd use, max, 58 kWh. The US average price of residential electricity is 12c/kWh, so, at most, you could have used $7 worth of electricity in a month.

That is assuming you're using the full 20A for the full 6 hours/week. In reality, you'll be no where near that.

Obviously, service charges and the like will add to your bill, but you should be no where near $100/mo...

I agree with Dan, NO WAY could you be using that much power a month

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Well, if it's all just a single 120v 20A breaker you pay for, the most power you could get from it would be 120V*20A= 2400W. 6 hours per week of that is, max, 14.4kWh. In one month, you'd use, max, 58 kWh. The US average price of residential electricity is 12c/kWh, so, at most, you could have used $7 worth of electricity in a month.

That is assuming you're using the full 20A for the full 6 hours/week. In reality, you'll be no where near that.

Obviously, service charges and the like will add to your bill, but you should be no where near $100/mo...
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Since you only have one breaker, you could get a watt-hour meter and meter your actual usage. Something like this might work for you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You'd have to pull 100% of the load 50% of the time to do it at residential rates. If its commercial, demand charges can be killer.

Thanks guys I'll have to have a talk with the landlord about this.

Glenn is right about the guesstimated bill. In some areas with difficult to reach customers a bill might be based on usage history rather than an actual read, with the understanding that everything will correct itself the next time an actual read is possible.

Also, depending on the type of meter that is on the property another possibility is a misread meter resulting in an overage. That is a fairly common problem with dial-type meter, especially with an inexperienced meter reader. The last reading should appear on the bill. You can compare that to the current reading on the meter and that might give you an idea if that's what happened. If that's the case, the problem should correct itself with the next reading, presuming it is read correctly that time.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

We had a lot of problems with that a while back. I caught the reader lying about even showing up for reads, reading the meter from 80' away at a 45 degree angle, then driving on my lawn to read from 80' at a smaller angle. We'd get a huge bill then a tiny bill. The meter reader finally disappeared and the power company put in a digital meter. The new reader can drive up my driveway, slow in the circle and hold the reader out the window and capture a reading as he drives by off. And the meter is on the back of the house.

It sounds like your usage isn't metered? That this is a residential service with one meter and one breaker feeds the space that you are in? If that is the case, how is the landlord estimating your usage? If he says he used xxx in March and now there is a $100 increase in April and that is your cost, who is to say he didn't turn on the A/C (or whatever) and your use is $20 and HIS OWN increase over the previous month is $80? I'd discuss how the bill is being estimated and talk about putting an actual meter on your supply.

You can get submeters: http://amzn.com/B0055D346E

That one is likely overkill. Your local electrical supply house could probably set you up with what you'd need. If the landlord is looking to charge you $100 a month, it would even be worth paying a couple hundred up front and would pay for itself in a couple months with more realistic electrical bills.

Blog Entries
    I've a separate shop with its own meter. On a commercial rate, no demand charge. Got a small chest freezer out there which is only usage that is continual. If I don't get in shop in a month, then minimum charge is at about $12. If I work for a week on items, 4-6 hours a day, maybe 24-30 hours in a month, with high TS and RAS usage along with 2 hp cyclone when either is running, or 1 hp sander along with cyclone, minimal lights as skylights provide 90% of lighting, my cost goes up to about $25. Never have had over a $30 bill in a month. You are paying for HIS power usage. My guess is you have maybe $10 in use.

Ryan, I'm not really sure about the rental space and how the electric works. However, I have a 2-story house, a guest house and a 2-story shop. Depending on the time of the year, my electric bill changes. The most current one that ran from 3/23 to 4/23/2012 was $79.05.

For a while we had problems with the meter reader doing "guesstaments." Although about 7-8 yrs ago they put in these high tech readers and the truck just drivers down the road and it reads the meters. They don't even have to come to the house anymore.

Good news, talked to the landlord, and I showed that I pay for the electric so that is settled. Bad news, he thinks that I am running a "business" so he upped the rent $40.