Thread: Jig Hardware - 1/4" vs 5/16"

Jig Hardware - 1/4" vs 5/16"

I'm getting ready to build up a few jigs for various projects and wonder if I should invest in 1/4" vs 5/16" hardware?

I'm curious which is more universal and if I would be better off using exclusively one or the other? Of course for simplicity I'd prefer all my hardware to only use one size.

What do you use and why?

I don't think the bolt sizes really matter a lot. I bought a Rockler 5/16 jig assortment and then a Lee Valley 1/4" assortment later. I did have problems with the Rockler 5/16" set as the T-bolts did not fit all my Incra T-track. The LV 1/4" bolts do fit it. I believe it's more of a manufacturing thing, as the width of Rocklers bolts are listed as the same for both sizes. If I had to pick one size to go with it would be the 1/4" set, (from LV since it will work with my Incra track).

Every once in a while, LV, Rockler or Peachtree will have one of the 120+ piece sets on sale for $35-40. I like having an assortment of hardware on hand to build whatever I need rather than ordering the parts and waiting.

I'll second what Erik said. I think many of the T-tracks are sized to accept a 1/4" bolt head. I know this is true of my Incra miter gauge and bandsaw fence. It is also true of my Woodpecker router fence.

Thanks guys, that was EXACTLY the type of info i was looking for. It also seems like more hardware runs the 1/4 stuff.

I bought a big bag of 5/16" toilet bolts from Lowes.
    A little Dremel or file action on the sides and they fit right into the T-track.

While it's a little more work, they don't cock off to one side like a bolt head can do when you slide them in the T-track.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I bought a big bag of 5/16" toilet bolts from Lowes.
    A little Dremel or file action on the sides and they fit right into the T-track.

While it's a little more work, they don't cock off to one side like a bolt head can do when you slide them in the T-track.
    +1 on using T bolts. I have T track from different sources and hex bolt heads work - sorta - but tend to bind.

I agree with Curt about the hex bolts binding. I mainly use them for attaching fences and stops that don't need to move once installed. I have some t-bolts for sliding fixtures.

I prefer T-bolts to hex heads too, especially for hold downs and frequently moved parts. The larger surface area is less likely to damage aluminum track or wood slots.