Thread: "Genie in a bottle"

"Genie in a bottle"

Hey All,
    Here is a Thingy I completed that the wife says resembles a Genie in a bottle, so that's what I named it. It is Big Leaf Maple Burl and is 17" tall and 3-1/2" wide at its widest. I had a few narrow pieces of BLM laying around and decided to try something different. I put three coats of Tung Oil on it and then Beall buffed it with Ren Wax. Both sides were very different grain. I personally like the first view better with the flaring grain better than the second view, how about you? Comments are always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

This is absolutely awesome in my view Ken. Beautiful wood and I love the form. I prefer the second view and not being the least bit artistic, cannot tell you why, only that it really appeals to me.

Not that I'm a critic of art pieces, but this piece seem out of proportion. Looks rather top-heavy sitting on such a small base but, nonetheless, it's a beautiful work or art.

Ken - have to agree with Wes in that the finial portion makes the piece appear top-heavy. Beautiful wood!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have to agree with the comments about the piece looking top heavy. But all you have to do is block out the pedestal and suddenly it comes together into a very unusual but really cool looking form.
    David DeCristoforo

I expect to see Barbara Eden pop out when you take the top off. The bottle is great.

Wow Ken!!! Overall impression is amazing! I think, not being a turned art guy....if you broke up the finial with blackwood or something...maybe a different impression? Again, cool vision and good job on bringing it together!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

this is totally different & quite interesting.(elongated pear??) .cover with your finger, the black base, & it is very very interesting piece..I'm not too sure about the finial..something a tad off there, but the idea is cool. I'd be interested to see you make another & fine tune it...thanks for sharing
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks for your comments. It was an experiment with couple small pieces of BLM I had. It just kind of evolved as I turned with no planning. I do like the overall shape, but as mentioned the base adds nothing to it and the Finial needs much refining to look proportional. I will do another one, but with some of the suggested changes. Thanks.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Interesting piece Ken. I do like the shape and I agree about the finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.