Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smocks and curlies.

Smocks and curlies.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how an AAW smock can be convinced to turn a loose of the curlies that get on it from turning? I have a 175 PSI compressor that will not budge them and I refuse to pick them off one at a time. Why can they not use a material that things do not adhere to so strongly? Thanks for any suggests......that work.

I'd go with Crisco...but I'm funny like that ;->

Thanks Jim, I did not have any Crisco but I tried some lard......that did not work either. And now my wife says that I smell.

I thought the AAW smocks were made out of nylon and nothing would stick to them! I wear a camo duck hunting jacket that I have had for many years and when it gets dusty - I just step out back and wrap it around a tree a few times! Works pretty good so far!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Evans View Post
    Thanks Jim, I did not have any Crisco but I tried some lard......that did not work either. And now my wife says that I smell.
    Ha!! Thanks Ted!! In a week filled with disaster, you really made me laugh, bless you for that one sir!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I turn in my standard daily wardrobe - pocketless henleys, with the tail out. Long sleeve in winter, short sleeve in summer. The air hose gets it all off the shirt and me.

I were a AAW smock and just shake it a couple times and wash it about every two weeks with my other work clothes.I don't have any problem with chips sticking. My smock is about 8 years old if that would make a differents. I also use the apron that Packard sales in the summer and nothing sticks to it except super glue.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I have the anniversary edition and the nylon sheds well. The collar collects dust, but not shavings. Forgot to shake the shavings out of the back pockets before the last washing, but that's a different story!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I thought the AAW smocks were made out of nylon and nothing would stick to them! I wear a camo duck hunting jacket that I have had for many years and when it gets dusty - I just step out back and wrap it around a tree a few times! Works pretty good so far!
    But when you take it off, how can you find it, Steve?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Steve, I thought they would be made from some material that would shed chips since it is a turning organization but not so in my case. It is more like Velcro than nylon.

JK, do the henley shirts keep it out of the neck area? That is the location that causes more trouble for me.

Harry, Don't know if the age makes a difference, mine is about two years old. Perhaps it needs more washings.

Jon, I would think rip-stop nylon would be ideal but I did not see that option when I ordered mine.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Blog Entries
    John & Steve, I figured you guys to use an umbrella the way you guys make chips fly. I use a leather apron I traded some mesquite for from a member here. You might try using a pet comb for removing shedding hair on pets.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

It is hot enough out in the shop already that what I need to watch out for is the black walnut dust accumulating on my sweaty forearms too long. Gives you an instant suntan. Kinda splotchy, though.
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

Might be time for a new smock. I bought one of the AAW's anniversary smocks while in St Paul and nothing sticks to it. Don't know if it was really worth the $50 I paid for it though!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have a different problem. My smock is 100% cotton twill. It is cool comfortable and it easily sheds chips with a bit of a shake. However, that area where wet chips hit is so badly discolored from sappy wood it now looks like I imagine Steve's camo to look.

I had some of the same problems with smocks and then I bought an Army Combat Uniform (digital camo) top at the Army/Navy store for $40. It is made of a fabric that chips will not stick to, nor will sanding dust. The collar has a velcro closure as do the sleeves at the wrists. There are pockets on both sleeves and two on the chest. All pockets are covered with velcro flaps. The front zipper has a velcro flap sealing it off. Nothing gets through it and it is cool in summer. Go Army!