Thread: Any idea what kind of wood this is on my stanley plane? Ebony?

Any idea what kind of wood this is on my stanley plane? Ebony?

I have a type 19 no. 4, but it does not have the rosewood or black painted "furniture" that Patrick Leech describes. At first I thought they were some kind of composite, but I took them off and they are definitely wood. I can clearly see the grain in the unfinished bottom of the tote and the wood is clearly dark throughout as I can tell by looking through the drilled holes. Is it ebony? I am not too familiar with tropical woods and don't have many samples around my shop to compare to. The tote next to it is from a Bed Rock and I imagine it must be rosewood. i have taken photos next to it for color comparison. Any idea I what I am looking at here? Is it user-made? If so it is quite refined, unlike like the usual user-made totes I have encountered on old planes. The knob matches.

Stained rosewood, maybe.

Blog Entries
    My recollection is that Stanley did use some rosewood after WW II. The clear coating they used wasn't that clear and actually obscured the wood underneath. They may have used a lot of the dark paint they used to cover the light wood handles they used during the war.

A quick check of https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/p...ing/typing.htm confirms my memory.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Do you think the color variation between the darker and lighter one preclude them from both being rosewood? I know "rosewood" can actually mean a number of things.

I have a small ebony board, and what you have does not look like it. That handle would be heavier than it looks. See if it floats.

Mike

Some Brazilian rosewood can turn as black as ebony when it is oiled. The grip looks like rosewood on the bottom. In the old days they always used Brazilian.

The unfinished bottom of the tote looks like it may be some dark East Indian rosewood, to me.

The long pores look like Brazilian to me,and I used it for nearly all the guitars I made for decades. It also has a distinct peppery smell when sanded,IF you have worked it,you'll always recognize it.

I'm not a Stanley collector,but I never saw any OLD Stanleys that used any other rosewood. When the embargo in 1969 happened,alternative rosewoods began to be used.

I have a #4 from about the same time and my tote looks like it came from the same batch. I even scrapped a bit from the bottom to see if it was just patina, but I don't think so. I assumed it was just a very dark rosewood. I have to say though that aesthetically, this is my favorite handle of my limited collection.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Smith View Post
    I have a #4 from about the same time and my tote looks like it came from the same batch. I even scrapped a bit from the bottom to see if it was just patina, but I don't think so. I assumed it was just a very dark rosewood. I have to say though that aesthetically, this is my favorite handle of my limited collection.
    I agree that they are very nice. This plane is for sale in the classifieds, but I had hesitated for a long time to sell it because of the beautiful wood. I tried to put the wood parts on a Bed Rock 4 that I am not selling, but the knob did not quite fit right.

I agree with George. It looks like Brazilian Rosewood, definitely not like Ebony. My vintage #4 Type 9 Bailey has a very similar handle. When I got it, I thought that the blackish colour would be patina. It wasn't. After having sanded and reoiled it, it came out nearly pitch black as it was before.

Klaus
    Klaus Kretschmar

+1 on oiled rosewood, it turns really dark. I love that look.