Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bunch of Pecan bowls.

A bunch of Pecan bowls.

Well, I said I had enough Pecan logs to make about 40 bowls. What I didn't have is enough energy. I finished 19 and that's the end for me. I'll have to figure out something else to do with the rest of the wood. Boy that makes a lot of shavings. I filled my dust collector, a 30 gal drum and still had another 30 gallons on the lathe and surrounding areas. I turned these green so I left the tennons attached till they dry some. I'm hoping that when I turn them off, the bowls will be dry enough so the bases don't warp. C&C Welcome.
    DSC00173.jpgDSC00175.jpgDSC00174.jpgDSC00177.jpgDSC00178.jpg
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I'm tired just looking, Ed. Looks like some pretty bowls coming. I've been trying to explain your shower curtain to the Mrs. These photos will make it easier.

19 is nothing to be disappointed in! Looks like the makings of some fine bowls. I see you found a good use for the "digit remover saw"! If I had $10 for every radial arm saw I have been offered for free...well I would be able to buy something REAL nice. Dad has one and I refuse to use it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Maybe it's just my old eyeballs, but the tenons appear to be quite deep. Do you always have such long tenons or are you using deep jaws?

Nice work, Ed, and far more "sticktoit" than I have!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    I see you found a good use for the "digit remover saw"! If I had $10 for every radial arm saw I have been offered for free...well I would be able to buy something REAL nice. Dad has one and I refuse to use it!
    Scott, you got that right!! Without doubt, the most dangerous tool I have ever owned. Sold mine about 30 years ago, and I get a cold chill every time I see one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Nice work, Ed, and far more "sticktoit" than I have!!Scott, you got that right!! Without doubt, the most dangerous tool I have ever owned. Sold mine about 30 years ago, and I get a cold chill every time I see one.
    To John and Scott:
    I use my RAS all the time without fear....but I do have a lot of respect. I've never had a mishap on it. Mainly because that spinning blade above the table is scary. However, I have had two minor injuries on a table saw. That's the bugger I refuse to use. If you have one hand on the handle of the RAS and the other holding the work, it's hard to cut yourself. However, on a table saw, your hands are moving with the work right around a blade that "looks" safe because it has a guard on it.

Only 19 bowls? That's it? What a woose! Nice this about that wooden lathe... the shavings just kinda blend right in...
    David DeCristoforo

David,
    I feel like a woose. I thought I'd have at least 40 bowls in a week, but I couldn't shovel the shavings fast enough!

I hope you recover before you start finish turning. That Pecan can beat you up some more. It can get pretty hard when dry. Makes a hot fire if burned though.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Ed that is a batch of nice looking bowls.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good looking heard of bowls there!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Good production effort. After looking at the lathe, I am wondering if the dust collector is some kid pumping a bellows

That's a great looking bunch of bowls you have there Ed!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Makes me tired just looking at it Ed! Looks like you once turned most of them and that takes even more time and care than just roughing.

with all those shavings, you can now go into suppling compost material for your neighborhood!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe