Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Project - pics and video

Kitchen Project - pics and video

I have always wanted to build a kitchen. Last year I finally did. Here is the result (and below I will provide some before/after and during)

IMG_1970.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is what it looked like before:

And here a few pics of the room empty - had to add lighting,floors, ceiling, etc. lots of work had to be done before I got make sawdust.

and finally a few in progress shots, I worked out that even though I was building there was still always a functioning kitchen:

001 (800x600) (3).jpg014 (800x600).jpg024 (800x600).jpg139 (800x600).jpg306 (800x600).jpg

Of course the cherry butcher was the fun part, as i got to turn massive leggs and make the biggest end grain block I have ever made

Very nice job. I am almost done with my kitchen project as well, and used blum soft close on my drawers as well as doors. They make a nice product. Knowing what goes into a project like this, I can tell you that I am very impressed with your craftsmanship. You should be very proud of what you have done.

Lovely job. I enjoyed the video. The half drawers are a great idea. Please don't tell me it stays that neat and tidy all the time.

Paul

I love the double drawers too, I might have to see about converting some of the ones in my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cahill View Post
    Lovely job. I enjoyed the video. The half drawers are a great idea. Please don't tell me it stays that neat and tidy all the time.

Paul

The kitchen was 98% finished and been in use since before christmas, so it does pretty much stay that tidy these days. It a nice kitchen so we try to keep it nice (;

The half drawers are great in function, lots of thin drawers made the most sense to us in terms of storage, but I did like what that would look like, the half drawers were the best option. My drawer slide budget was a bit extreme though, 26 drawers slides in small kitchen and most of them our $Blum undermount soft close$.

Where did you get the drawer slides? I looked all over for the best price and found that AHturf had the best prices by far.

one other question, how did your price for the soapstone counters compare to Granite? I didnt realize you could work soapstone with woodworking tools. Yours looks great.

I got the slides though woodworkers hardware Caught a sale for mutliples and bout 20 for around $500 (not including the mounting handles)

The soapstone worked out about the same price as granite would have has been installed it was $60 a Sqft including shippig. I ordered from here Canadian Soapstone as I live in Canada. These video give you a pretty good idea how to work with it: http://soapstonecounters.com/Howto.htm

I found the counters easier to install then I would have guessed

WOW !! I like the new kitchen.
    Your old kitchen looks better than my currant kitched. LOL.

Outstanding, really like the double drawers and the clean look of the white cabinets, the cherry prep area is really nice too. Question about the corner cabinet with the pullout, how difficult is it to access items behind the pullout itself, I have two (blackholes) corner cabinets and have been considering this as an option.

Heather

PS Looks like the soapstone is a really nice product, like the fact that is really easy to repair.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Thompson View Post
    Outstanding, really like the double drawers and the clean look of the white cabinets, the cherry prep area is really nice too. Question about the corner cabinet with the pullout, how difficult is it to access items behind the pullout itself, I have two (blackholes) corner cabinets and have been considering this as an option.

Heather

PS Looks like the soapstone is a really nice product, like the fact that is really easy to repair.
    With the room I had i have about .5" clearance for the unit and this is less than recommended, but I still put it in as it was better to have some storage rather than none. All the front items are of course easy to get to, and the top back shelf I can get to with out much trouble, but the back bottom shelf is not easy to get to and is more for items we only use once every few months. If we had more clearance (another 5") it would work much better, but I wanted to keep the sink centred on the window and did not want to move the window.

cheers,

j